starting strength gym

Thread: NLP after Layoff

Default NLP after Layoff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    27 years old. 205 lbs.

I was approaching the end of my NLP (about 6 months in duration) at the end of October when I took about a 2.5 month layoff for hunting season.
    I was at the following lifts for 3sets of 5 and weighed ~220lbs

Squat: 325
    DL: 405
    BP: 205
    OHP: 150

I recently started the NLP again, and started pretty low the first couple of lifts to avoid much soreness and get back in the swing. I am quite a bit lighter, as a combination of not eating a ton, not lifting, and doing a ton of walking during hunting season.

My question is.. what is a reasonable time frame to get back relatively close to these levels? I started last week at the following:

Squat: 135
    DL:195
    BP: 95
    OHP:75

I know I can add quite a bit more weight quickly with the squat and deadlift, but long should I go up by say 20lb increments before slowing down to 5-10 lb jumps? On the OHP and BP, I plan on going up ~10 lbs for the next couple of weeks before slowing to 5 lb jumps and eventually microloading.

Is it unreasonable to think I can get back to to these lifts in a month or two of eating and training consistently? Any downfalls of doing it "too quickly" with bigger jumps than I originally used?

Thanks!

That sounds reasonable to me. Ramping back up after a significant layoff is not a science, it really depends on the individual.
    I also start with 135 squat, then can add pretty quickly. But I start there to ensure my form and balance are on point. The 195 DL sounds about where I start up at also.
    I don't think you are being too conservative, but others may disagree.

The most important part about coming back after a layoff? The mental game. Those starting weights for me lets me think "hey, I am back".
    Load the bar too quickly and it seems discouraging.

I know you guys get tired of me pointing out the fact that this is discussed in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I know you guys get tired of me pointing out the fact that this is discussed in the books.
    And for those unable or too lazy to read, you've done a bunch of videos on returning from layoffs. Aschaul10, the seminal video is here, and if you're an American you really should listen to the whole damn thing:
    Rip's Rant and Getting Back in the Gym After House Arrest | Starting Strength Radio #57 - YouTube

Thank you - It's been about 2 years since i've read SS & PP so I should probably dust those off.

One last question (not sure if it really matters). Belt - should I start using my belt on the DL and Squat immediately, or would it make more sense to wait to use it until the lifts start getting heavier to almost help provide a boost to help keep progress going quickly?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    Thank you - It's been about 2 years since i've read SS & PP so I should probably dust those off.

One last question (not sure if it really matters). Belt - should I start using my belt on the DL and Squat immediately, or would it make more sense to wait to use it until the lifts start getting heavier to almost help provide a boost to help keep progress going quickly?
    See p. 66 of 3rd ed, 3rd rev of the Blue Book, as well as The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe (audio here: The Belt and The Deadlift (Audio Only) - YouTube ).

That your question is addressed in that article may not be obvious from the title, but the answer is entailed in there, so thinking over this will repay your attention.