starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lack of energy due to starting strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Yes, train on Monday and then rest until next Monday, that'll do the trick. If you plateau, rest even longer
    Extra rest will not solve the fact that this dude is 50lb underweight.

We've tried it before. It doesn't work. You can't really program around a recovery problem this large.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Extra rest will not solve the fact that this dude is 50lb underweight.
    I was obviously being sarcastic
    But I do envy the amount of empathy you have as a coach towards someone so oblivious about training even though they have known Starting Strength for 10 years and took the time to post a thread on this forum. If it sounds like a troll, and looks like a troll...

Now so far, we have what appears to me to be a series of victimless crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    When did they introduce fluoridation to your town’s water supply?
    For those who didn’t get my fluoridation reference:

Enjoy!

Hello

So I took into account what you guys said, you are right, I am underweight, I will try to eat more, but I think the progress will be slow as I don't put on weight easily. In the meantime, I think I am not recovering enough between workouts and that is why my workout weights are yo-yo-ing.

So I was thinking since working out with Starting Strength 3x a week is for hardcore competitive Starting Strenthicans (which I am not), and working out Starting Strength 2x a week is for normal people (which I am not, since I am underweight), I think working out once a week is good for underweight people like myself, it will allow me enough time to recover and still add weight to the bar every workout to get strong. I think it is the best way to apply the minimum effect dose method to get stronger.

My question is if I workout once a week, I would only press once every 2 weeks, and bench every 2 weeks, which is a bit far in time. So I was thinking of modifying the program like this:

Once a week, I would workout: Squats 3 sets of 5, Bench 3 sets of 5, Press 3 sets of 5, Deadlift 1 set of 5. Would that be doable, I think my arms recover faster than a full body exercise compared to the Squat and deadlift. Or is that still too much volume? Should I try dropping down to Bench 2 sets of 5, Press 2 sets of 5 instead? That is still 4 sets of arm workouts every week.

Like I said, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by rur View Post
    Once a week, I would workout: Squats 3 sets of 5, Bench 3 sets of 5, Press 3 sets of 5, Deadlift 1 set of 5. Would that be doable, I think my arms recover faster than a full body exercise compared to the Squat and deadlift. Or is that still too much volume? Should I try dropping down to Bench 2 sets of 5, Press 2 sets of 5 instead? That is still 4 sets of arm workouts every week.
    Go for it. Have fun. Let us know how it plays out.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Why not work out once every two weeks for a single set of five on all the lifts, plus one set of three for the deadlift? This will give you even more recovery time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Why not work out once every two weeks for a single set of five on all the lifts, plus one set of three for the deadlift? This will give you even more recovery time.
    IMO once every 2 weeks is too long of a rest time between workouts.

And 1 x 5 for the lifts and 1 x 3 for the deadlift, is too little volume. You should read about the program first here before making suggestions: Starting Strength Training Programs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12