starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder Recommendation

Default Protein Powder Recommendation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A couple of qualifications:
    1. I have used the search function and read the pertinent threads. I will reference some of my findings later. I still believe this question needs to be asked.
    2. I tried to post a similar thread a few weeks ago in the Nutrition section, but either (a) the thread didn't submit, (b) Robert hates me, or (c) the thread wasn't approved because the question was believed to already have been answered (see 1). Regardless of whether a, b, or c is true, I felt like I needed to submit in a different section of the forum!

What protein powder should I be using?

I have been using Muscle Milk's Pro Series (link for nutrition facts) 2 scoops per day, 50g protein per serving, $2.25/serving. I realize that it is not 100% whey-based, and thus I'm wondering if I need to switch.

In a previous thread, Robert recommended:
    1. Legion (link for nutrition facts) Serving size is 1 scoop but I would probably take 2 scoops/day, 46g protein per 2 scoops, $4.00/2-scoops.
    2. Optimum Isolate. I'm not sure if he meant this one or this one. Either way, serving size is 1 scoop but I would probably take 2 scoops/day, 50g protein per 2 scoops, around $3.00/2 scoops.

Both of those seem slightly pricier than I would hope to fit into my budget (I'm a college student). A few other potential options:
    1. Gold Standard 100% Whey. Serving size is 1 scoop, I would take 2/day for 48g protein, around $2.25/2 scoops.
    2. MuscleTech Whey Protein. Serving size is 1 scoop. Not sure if I would take 1 scoop (30g protein, $1.40/serving) or 2 scoops (60g protein, $2.80/serving).

Is there a specific powder I should be using? Is taking 2 scoops uneccesary (it does help me hit my protein requirement though)? I also think it's entirely possible that protein powder selection will have a minimal, if at all, effect on my training progress. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    (I'm a college student).
    What is your major?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is your major?
    Philosophy. Post-grad, I plan to file for unemployment benefits

Joking aside, I plan to go to Seminary and be a pastor. I know your general opinion regarding majors in the soft sciences, but you’ll just have to trust that my philosophy undergrad will be immensely beneficial to my chosen career path.

Under normal circumstances, I would suggest that you just eat enough hamburger and eggs, but this is 2023 in the Biden Administration. Stock up on whey protein now, because it will be going up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Under normal circumstances, I would suggest that you just eat enough hamburger and eggs, but this is 2023 in the Biden Administration. Stock up on whey protein now, because it will be going up too.
    Thanks, Rip.

If anyone has any specific recommendations, I’m all ears!

I like the now brand whey isolate rips mentioned before. It’s a good price on Amazon

I like NutraBio whey isolate. It doesn’t bother my stomach. Certain ones with lactose or sucralose seem to bother me a bit. The NutraBio is about $100 per 5lb container right now and each container nets 75 scoops at 25g of protein per scoop. Not a bad deal.

I'm going to second the ground beef. Half a pound is 50 grams protein and costs about $2. Plus it is real food.

I like the Gold Standard Double Milk Chocolate. It tastes good and is available at Costco for a decent price.

Where are you located? If you have a friend that hunts offer to pay for a tag and basic processing a deer. Doe tags are usually cheap. Have everything ground but the tenderloins and you will have protein for 3-4 months plus two nice steaks..
    If you are in an elk state get a cow elk and you are set for a year.
    I have a non-hunting friend who talks to the local game processor before deer season ends. Any deer that is not picked up by the season's end the processor will sell at a discount just to get it out of the cooler.
    Meat is better than any powder.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I like the Gold Standard Double Milk Chocolate. It tastes good and is available at Costco for a decent price.

Where are you located? If you have a friend that hunts offer to pay for a tag and basic processing a deer. Doe tags are usually cheap. Have everything ground but the tenderloins and you will have protein for 3-4 months plus two nice steaks..
    If you are in an elk state get a cow elk and you are set for a year.
    I have a non-hunting friend who talks to the local game processor before deer season ends. Any deer that is not picked up by the season's end the processor will sell at a discount just to get it out of the cooler.
    Meat is better than any powder.
    Many thanks to Johnsonville, Bare Steel, and That Guy!

Thanks, LaF. I’m from near Atlanta but currently in the Chicago area for college. That deer idea sounds great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast