starting strength gym

Thread: Weak Grip and Its Effects on the Deadlift | Andrew Lewis

Default Weak Grip and Its Effects on the Deadlift | Andrew Lewis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Your deadlift may be failing because of your grip. An obvious indicator is that you can feel the bar slipping out of your hands. However, there are two more subtle indicators to be aware of, because it’s not obvious they’re caused by grip loss: back rounding and an incomplete lockout at the top.

Read more

I guess that's why the hook grip improved my lower back starting position a bit.

For a long time, I considered myself "unfit" for the hook grip. But it wasn't until I read an excellent article on this website, I think it was by Robert Santana if I remember correctly, where he insisted that thumb pain only lasts for a few sessions and then you get used to it. It was the best change I could make to my deadlift. All thanks to this wonderful page that always gives us large amounts of knowledge.

Thanks for another solid, useful and based on logic article.

Hook grip also very slightly improves the mechanical starting position of the lift, because the bar sits slightly lower in your hand than with a non-hooked double overhand grip, but that's a very small effect. It might matter if you need to add 1lb to your deadlift for a world record, but otherwise it will not make a serious difference compared to other training variables.

Regarding the thumb pain, I have never found that the pain goes away. Rather, I think lifters conceptualize it differently. They start by recognizing it as pain, and then as they get used to it, they recognize it as discomfort. I don't even recognize it as discomfort anymore - it just feels like an intense pressure. Like when you unrack a heavy press. It doesn't hurt. It's just really fucking high pressure in your hands.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Hook grip also very slightly improves the mechanical starting position of the lift, because the bar sits slightly lower in your hand than with a non-hooked double overhand grip, but that's a very small effect. It might matter if you need to add 1lb to your deadlift for a world record, but otherwise it will not make a serious difference compared to other training variables.

Regarding the thumb pain, I have never found that the pain goes away. Rather, I think lifters conceptualize it differently. They start by recognizing it as pain, and then as they get used to it, they recognize it as discomfort. I don't even recognize it as discomfort anymore - it just feels like an intense pressure. Like when you unrack a heavy press. It doesn't hurt. It's just really fucking high pressure in your hands.

I'm sorry, I haven't been looking at the forums these days and I couldn't see your message. I hope it is not too late to thank you for the feedback.

Yes, thumb pain never completely goes away, but the hook grip is truly worth it. I could never make friends with straps.

Cheers!