starting strength gym

Thread: Cramping

Default Cramping

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been lifting for about three years now and I thought it would go away, but on none lifting days I have trouble with cramps in my torso. Most often related to twisting or turning of my upper body. Magnesium and potassium have made it some better and I drink 96 oz of water a day. I'm 61, 5'10, 195, so maybe it's an old age thing.

Does anyone else have trouble with cramping and have found a solution?

If you look at things that are supposed to help - vitamins (B1, D, K2) and electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, sodium) - whether things are effective or not and the time scale to effect are all over the place. Whether some are entirely wrong or due to study design or because the it's highly context-specific, is open. Take a look at your intakes of the above, maybe tracking with something like chronometer, test out supplementation and look for a pattern.

In my experience the biggest factor is sleep - training hard and not enough sleep = problems. Interestingly, almost always on only one side of the body, with an unpredictable pattern not related training stress.

Stef,

I'm getting 8 hours of sleep a night. On the weekends I don't use an alarm and that's when I wake up so I don't think my body want's more.

What do you mean by a "chronometer"? I know that to be a stop watch, but it must be something else, hahaha.

I haven't really looked into the vitamins, but it can't hurt me, maybe I should add them to my daily stack. I ordered some LMNT electrolytes and I plan on seeing if they help any.

It's an app that will guesstimate your intakes from your food entries. Might help you spot a problem if there is something you're skipping over.

Thank you, I will look it up.

If it's cramps, the LMNT should help. Look up stan efferding's protocol for getting the reccomended 4700 mg / potassium per day.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Look up stan efferding's protocol for getting the reccomended 4700 mg / potassium per day.
    Wow, I'm taking 200 a day. I will have to look that up.

The RDA from the idiots at the Government is 3500mg, so that's already low -- 200 doesn't even count. By some bulk potassium citrate and start taking it every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The RDA from the idiots at the Government is 3500mg, so that's already low -- 200 doesn't even count. By some bulk potassium citrate and start taking it every morning.
    hahaha, I bought it by the kilo so I have plenty. I have to figure out there I got such a low number. Also my last blood test showed that I was abnormally high on potassium. So I need to figure out how to get another one of those scheduled. Welcome to the occupied territories where you can even request your own blood test.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I drop around 1000 mg of potassium citrate in my protein shake every morning and have never had cramping issues. It’s fine for healthy folks.

If you have kidney issues or take any medications make sure they don’t interact or cause potassium retention in your kidneys. Chris masterjohn has a good video on this.