starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaustion after squat volume training

Default Exhaustion after squat volume training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    lately I am feeling absolutely drained after volume squat day.
    I use a 4 day split designed for me by a SSC, but unfortunately I had to quit the 1:1 training.

I have 2 squat days
    • On the volume day I am supposed to do 4 sets of 5 (107kg)
    • On the Intensity day I am supposed to do 5 sets of 1 (125kg)

At the last 2 or 3 volume days I was absolutely hammered after the workout for the entire day, was having trouble concentrating, working, even walking the dog felt hard. The fatigue did not pass for the entire day, but it did get better towards the evening.
    I am currently on a wight loss diet, and I wish to keep it for now. I am aware that this is not what the program calls for, but I did not enjoy being heavier, and at least for now I am able to keep raising the wight on the bar
    Appart from starting to gain wight again and/or reducing the number of sets or reps on volume day, is there any other ideas?

my numbers:
    47 years old
    93 Kg body wight
    PRs
    Press 67 kg
    Bench 93 kg
    Squat 127 kg
    Deadlift 152 kg

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    At the last 2 or 3 volume days I was absolutely hammered after the workout for the entire day, was having trouble concentrating, working, even walking the dog felt hard. The fatigue did not pass for the entire day, but it did get better towards the evening.
    I am currently on a wight loss diet, and I wish to keep it for now. I am aware that this is not what the program calls for, but I did not enjoy being heavier, and at least for now I am able to keep raising the wight on the bar
    This is ridiculous.

I am currently on a wight loss diet, and I wish to keep it for now. I am aware that this is not what the program calls for, but I did not enjoy being heavier, and at least for now I am able to keep raising the wight on the bar.
    You cannot lose weight on a texas method style program. Its hard enough to recover from even if you're eating a LOT and you're a guy in your 20's. Let a lone for a lifter who's almost 50 years old and not eating enough to facilitate recovery. You're feeling wrecked because you don't have adequate calories, protein, sodium and other nutrients necessary to recover and function properly. If you're going to lose weight, you'll need a different program and just try to maintain most of your strength. Continue the strength program (eating correctly) after you've shed a few pounds. I'd wager a guess you're not sleeping adequately either. How tall are you at 93 kg of weight?

On the Intensity day I am supposed to do 5 sets of 1 (125kg)
    5 squat singles across every week is going to kill you even if you are actually taking your recovery seriously (which you are not). The intensity day would usually be more like rotating out 1x5 / 2x3 / 3x2, mixing in singles every few weeks if you want.

That kind of training is not designed for a caloric deficit. It will destroy you if you try to combine the stress of that kind of hard training with the stress of dropping pounds of bodyweight.

Agreed that TM is a vigorous program. I used to feel “electric” after volume day, which I was trying to do in the evening about three or four hours before bed. It wrecked my sleep, but I was stubborn. Your body is giving you cues, Ariel. Listen and plan accordingly. A good lifting program must be commensurate with your recovery ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    You cannot lose weight on a texas method style program. Its hard enough to recover from even if you're eating a LOT and you're a guy in your 20's. Let a lone for a lifter who's almost 50 years old and not eating enough to facilitate recovery. You're feeling wrecked because you don't have adequate calories, protein, sodium and other nutrients necessary to recover and function properly. If you're going to lose weight, you'll need a different program and just try to maintain most of your strength. Continue the strength program (eating correctly) after you've shed a few pounds. I'd wager a guess you're not sleeping adequately either. How tall are you at 93 kg of weight?
    that was my first thought, however my training is no where near TM. a 4 day split. (usually spread over more that 7 days due to personal schedule) with 2 lifts per workout. Also this does not happen on other days, and it is not carried over to other days of the week. It is specific to squat volume days, and is happening directly after training. As for sleeping, this has improved a lot since I lost a few pounds, I haven't slept this good even when I was on melatonin, this is one if not the main reason I do not want to go up in body wight.
    I am 186 c"m

5 squat singles across every week is going to kill you even if you are actually taking your recovery seriously (which you are not). The intensity day would usually be more like rotating out 1x5 / 2x3 / 3x2, mixing in singles every few weeks if you want.
    I can do that - thanks

You cannot lose weight on a texas method style program.
    Well, you can... for about a week.
    OP, how tall are you?

What coach were your working with?

Does this bother anyone else?

So, if you gain weight then you cannot sleep, and therefore cannot recover. If you loose weight, you don't have enough energy to get through the day, and therefore cannot recover. You are training 7 days a week, and you are asking if changing your rep count on 1 of those 7 days is going to solve the issue?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What coach were your working with?

Does this bother anyone else?
    Yes.

Ariel, assuming you don't make any other changes-- and you should--the first thing is you will need to eat more food, especially carbs, surrounding your volume workout. Both before and after. We don't know what your "weight loss diet" looks like but if you're gassed after doing 107kgx5x4 you're not eating enough. Period.

But, the bigger picture is this-- you shouldn't be trying to lose weight at 93kg/186cm, you should be focusing on adding 50kg to your squat and deadlift. And you shouldn't be doing it with intermediate programming.

Although, it just dawned on me...are you a man or a woman?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast