starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat re-racking issue

Question Squat re-racking issue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

My gym squat racks have the places for the pins about 5 inches apart. So there's the "perfect" height for me when I unrack, but as the weight gets heavier I have to stand on my toes to re-rack. This makes me scared during squats and is the reason I started doing 5x3 sets at only 62.5 kg working weight (instead of 3x5) and I feel that it's too early for that.
    With 5x3 I can still manage to re-rack the bar, because I don't get too tired.
    I tried setting the pins lower, but it feels really uncomfortable. Is it ok to start the squat with the pins way lower than they need to be?

You are asking if it is OK to set the pins at an unsafe height and only do 3 reps instead of 5?

Change gyms.

No, unracking at "perfect height" is NFG if your tip toeing the bar back in,
    squat the bar up from 5 inches lower so you can land it safely when you're done

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    You are asking if it is OK to set the pins at an unsafe height and only do 3 reps instead of 5?
    Yes, I guess my question was should I do that or set the pins lower and be able to do 5 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Change gyms.
    I can't right now, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    No, unracking at "perfect height" is NFG if your tip toeing the bar back in,
    squat the bar up from 5 inches lower so you can land it safely when you're done
    Alright thank you, I'll try that tomorrow.

"Tired" at 138 lbs is more of a problem than the rack.

If you're squatting correctly, the bar should be in the same spot when you unrack and re-rack. Is the bar sliding down your back? Are you losing extension of your spine and hunching over?

That being said, it's always better for the hooks to be too low than too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    If you're squatting correctly, the bar should be in the same spot when you unrack and re-rack. Is the bar sliding down your back? Are you losing extension of your spine and hunching over?

That being said, it's always better for the hooks to be too low than too high.
    You're completely right, I realized that I was actually setting the bar too high on my back all this time. I set the hooks lower and now I can get the bar lower on my back to where it should be and re-rack safely. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    "Tired" at 138 lbs is more of a problem than the rack.
    I am 130 lb/F

Quote Originally Posted by soup crouton View Post
    I am 130 lb/F
    do you have a height ?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    do you have a height ?
    yes, I'm 5'0".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast