starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body Composition First

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    People curious what SS can do for them need familiarize themselves with a vast body of work?
    You mistake my point - the benefits have been stated and shown and discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Is it correct to say that young/middle aged females are probably the only ones more concerned about aesthetics than anything else?

Men wanna look good, but they wanna look good because they can lift heavy weights, they want their aesthetic to be functional. If you could make them choose between looking good and be weak (even if it's impossible) or looking good and be strong, they would all choose the second one.
    Women (on the younger spectrum) probably associate strength with "too much muscle" or a physical ability that they aren't supposed to have or need, so they only care about having a flat stomach or "toned body" (big booty nowadays), regardless of performance in the gym.
    Even my female lifters don't have aesthetics as their primary goal. Talking to women about "too much muscle" usually isn't that difficult a conversation, and basically amounts to "you won't. Don't worry about it. And if you somehow magically do, it won't happen overnight, so we can address it when you start getting too jacked should that ever creep up."

Additionally, there's a self-selection process; women who are overly concerned with their abs and are scared of gaining muscle don't typically call me.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    You mistake my point - the benefits have been stated and shown and discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
    Hem, Stef, the forum shows that I wrote this:

"People curious what SS can do for them need familiarize themselves with a vast body of work?

And then only to learn SS isn't interested in helping them with fat loss?

Good luck with that.

(Probably shouldn't share that with potential investors.)"

But it's not my message, it's probably from the OP, must've been mixed up with mine

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Even my female lifters don't have aesthetics as their primary goal. Talking to women about "too much muscle" usually isn't that difficult a conversation, and basically amounts to "you won't. Don't worry about it. And if you somehow magically do, it won't happen overnight, so we can address it when you start getting too jacked should that ever creep up."

Additionally, there's a self-selection process; women who are overly concerned with their abs and are scared of gaining muscle don't typically call me.
    Sure, you don't catch what you don't fish for.

But since "the vast majority of people who start an exercise program do so with the expressed intention of 'losing weight,' by which they really mean losing bodyfat," why not fish for them?

Hem, Stef, the forum shows that I wrote this:

"People curious what SS can do for them need familiarize themselves with a vast body of work?

And then only to learn SS isn't interested in helping them with fat loss?

Good luck with that.

(Probably shouldn't share that with potential investors.)"

But it's not my message, it's probably from the OP, must've been mixed up with mine
    Yeah, I fucked that up and couldn't unfuck it. So instead of deleting the thread, which I probably should have done, I just left it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre View Post
    Sure, you don't catch what you don't fish for.

But since "the vast majority of people who start an exercise program do so with the expressed intention of 'losing weight,' by which they really mean losing bodyfat," why not fish for them?
    Do you happen to run an SEO company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you happen to run an SEO company?
    No, I was considering investing in a gym or two.

But I'm too old to butt heads like this.

I do respect your engagement though and I'll continue to recommend SS.

No, I was considering investing in a gym or two.

So am I.

Is it correct to say that young/middle aged females are probably the only ones more concerned about aesthetics than anything else?

Men wanna look good, but they wanna look good because they can lift heavy weights, they want their aesthetic to be functional. If you could make them choose between looking good and be weak (even if it's impossible) or looking good and be strong, they would all choose the second one.
    Women (on the younger spectrum) probably associate strength with "too much muscle" or a physical ability that they aren't supposed to have or need, so they only care about having a flat stomach or "toned body" (big booty nowadays), regardless of performance in the gym.
    I have noticed the opposite trend. Assuming a woman gets into lifting and keeps doing it for more than a month or two, she is much less concerned with aesthetics than your typical dude. You see it if you browse this board’s history, there is an almost endless series of men who start freaking out after gaining some fat around the belly, and then go after Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I have noticed the opposite trend. Assuming a woman gets into lifting and keeps doing it for more than a month or two, she is much less concerned with aesthetics than your typical dude. You see it if you browse this board’s history, there is an almost endless series of men who start freaking out after gaining some fat around the belly, and then go after Rip.
    In my small circle of people I've met and talked about SS to, I would say it's 50/50, both men and women (young) have concern for aesthetics, but as I said, men are already geared towards performance as well, while women just want "tone" muscles, big butt, lose fat even if they're already skinny and they say they need variety because otherwise the gym is too boring for them.
    It's basically a reflection of the current fitness influencer model for the 2 sexes, I think

starting strength coach development program
    Clearly still a novice lifter, if that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast