starting strength gym

Thread: Disc prolapse a year ago

Default Disc prolapse a year ago

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys,

there was a time where i was absurdly hyped to do starting strength because i saw rapid strength gains, which obviously made me really happy. However, i got myself a "Bandscheibenvorfall" while Squatting which I believe is called a Disc prolapse in english. Doc gave me some meds and after 6-7 weeks I was ready to squat again.
    I'm now at a Point where I am really happy with my Bench and Deadlift progress, but my Squat is not at the level it should be now. First i thought it was my bad genetics and i started eating even more than I did before, which helped me a little but not enough. So long story short, every time I Squat, even with 100-110kgs, I feel a stabbing pain in a small spot on my L3 - there are times where i feel it on both legs, but today i just felt it on my left side. It really bothers my squat progress and I can't see how to fix the problem. Everytime I go to the Doc, he would tell me not to lift heavy because it's dangerous. I can't even argue with him because I was stupid enough to hurt myself while Lifting .
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix my problem? I really wanna keep squatting, but it's frustrating - progress is basically nonexistent rn.
    ps: Deadlifting is no problem at all, neither is sprinting or jumping - idk if thats important or not, just wanted to add that.

Greetings from Vienna!

Squat video?

Hey uncle rip,
    I can film myself tomorrow, but it has nothing to do with the squat per se - it's just the weird stabbing pain after the training. It's just that it doesn't hurt me when I'm Deadlifting or Powercleaning.
    I even tried Highbarsquat ass to grass for a few weeks and Legpress. Only filmed myself squatting when I started, so I don't have any videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Waschechterwiener View Post
    it has nothing to do with the squat per se - it's just the weird stabbing pain after the training. It's just that it doesn't hurt me when I'm Deadlifting or Powercleaning.
    Read this out loud and tell me if you see the problem.

Sorry, it was late and english is not my first language. I meant it has nothing to do with the Squat motion. 5 reps are fine, then I feel that stabbing pain in my legs, which feels like theres some kind of blood restriction if that makes any sense? Well, seems like noone else has that kind of problem here, I will try to fix it myself. Thx Uncle Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Waschechterwiener View Post
    I meant it has nothing to do with the Squat motion. 5 reps are fine, then I feel that stabbing pain in my legs,
    You're not going to post a squat video? What if something is badly wrong with your squat?

I will Sir, I just couldn't. Just came from the gym and it was crowded as fuck I couldn't take a video.

Disclaimer: Not a doctor and don't know anything about anything. Sounds like your disc herniation is causing some kind of nerve compression which causes the pain in your legs. If so, it can be a real pain (no pun intended) to deal with. Absolutely post up a squat video and hopefully someone can see something that can help. It may or may not help but it's certainly worth a try. At the very least, if your squat looks good, you'll know you need to look elsewhere for relief and if technique is off, you'll have some direction that could help. May not hurt to post a deadlift video as well even though that's not when it hurts. At any rate, that's just my dumb opinion, for what it's worth.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, however this turns out, you should probably be belting all of your squat sets. Though, can’t see from here.