starting strength gym

Thread: Leaving Healthcare to Build an SS Gym | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #46

Default Leaving Healthcare to Build an SS Gym | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #46

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Ray Gillenwater talks to James Johnson about his decision to leave a profession in healthcare to open a gym to do better what he loves, which is caring for others.

• 03:59 - Staying away from assisted living facilities by becoming stronger
    • 07:44 - Caring for others
    • 16:13 - Polypharmacy
    • 28:46 - Health decisions we make now affect us later in life
    • 32:06 - How James found Starting Strength
    • 43:19 - Starting Strength Salt Lake City
    • 49:05 - What strength does for the body
    • 52:21 - Owning the change
    • 58:41 - Words of wisdom
    • 1:00:57 - Right of passage in society

I finally got around to watching the last half hour of this podcast, and I'm glad that I did. Two men of integrity discussing their core business values, how to be an exemplary dad, and being transparent while doing so ... you just don't see this enough these days on the internet.

Ray, you have all the makings of a great father; just trust your instincts more than the conventional wisdom is all I can say. I made the decision to quit my career in order to stay home with my children, practice attachment parenting, and homeschool them, and all I have ever gotten from people were compliments on them. The issue is the world: when you raise compassionate, thoughtful, considerate, and accountable humans, promoting critical thinking skills, you raise people who are somewhat of an anomaly in society.

Anyway, just wanted to weigh in. Thanks for a great discussion, gentlemen. I learned some things about economics lol. Best of luck to you, James. I really hope that you realize your goal of four gyms in your state. It will be wonderful.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Thanks, Russella. Kudos to you for taking the hard road with your family. We plan on doing the same and it's great to hear others' successes.

James is a competent, intelligent gentleman. We're glad to have him in the group.