starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big and Strong | Daniel Oakes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    No. Not at all. Look at ufc 1 if you think being big and strong is the end all be all. It’s simply not. Gordon beats Thor every time easily, it’s just a fact.
    No one has ever said that big and strong was the only necessary factor. That is a straw man, and is stupid. But 2 guys at equal skill, one is much stronger -- what happens?

I think that the point is being bigger and stronger is going to win a fight most of time. Of course if you are Rickson Gracie who dedicated his entire life to fighting you don't have to be big and strong to win fights but the point still stands. Furthermore, nobody in a civilized society should be carrying the burden of worrying about ninjas coming out the shadows to beat you up all day long. If you were truly worried about your safety you would lift weights and be strong.

Stronger guy wins a large percentage of the time. The question is what is the ideal amount of time/recovery capacity to spend training each discipline?

No. Not at all. Look at ufc 1 if you think being big and strong is the end all be all. It’s simply not. Gordon beats Thor every time easily, it’s just a fact.
    I think it is better to look at a WWF match, but imagine they actually hit each other on the head with chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No one has ever said that big and strong was the only necessary factor. That is a straw man, and is stupid. But 2 guys at equal skill, one is much stronger -- what happens?
    I agree with that 100%, and I know almost people assume that. I am perceiving that fellow saying Thor would beat Gordon Ryan in a fight isn’t saying that, but relying only on size and strength. I also tend to side with the better conditioned out of two people the same size would win, but I understand not a lot of people here will agree with that.

No, Gordon did destroy him.

He destroyed him in the same way I would destroy Usain Bolt in a 100m race if Bolt was only allowed to race on his knees - i.e. it's such a completely artificial situation that words like "destroy" lose all meaning.

Thor has pressed dumbbells heavier than Ryan with one arm and weighs twice his bodyweight. I'd be surprised if he could even move Thor standing up.

In UFC 1 Gracie only had one opponent with any grappling knowledge. His other opponents were a boxer and a kickboxer.

Any time this topic comes up, one of OIP.jpg appears. It's like rubbing a genie lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    Stronger guy wins a large percentage of the time. The question is what is the ideal amount of time/recovery capacity to spend training each discipline?
    Depends on your level of training advancement. Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

I agree with that 100%, and I know almost people assume that. I am perceiving that fellow saying Thor would beat Gordon Ryan in a fight isn’t saying that, but relying only on size and strength. I also tend to side with the better conditioned out of two people the same size would win, but I understand not a lot of people here will agree with that.
    Assuming we're talking about an actual fight, if it lasts long enough to be determined by conditioning, it's turned into an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by my_back_hurts View Post
    In UFC 1 Gracie only had one opponent with any grappling knowledge. His other opponents were a boxer and a kickboxer.

Any time this topic comes up, one of OIP.jpg appears. It's like rubbing a genie lamp.
    Next we'll be talking about Bruce Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    He destroyed him in the same way I would destroy Usain Bolt in a 100m race if Bolt was only allowed to race on his knees - i.e. it's such a completely artificial situation that words like "destroy" lose all meaning.

Thor has pressed dumbbells heavier than Ryan with one arm and weighs twice his bodyweight. I'd be surprised if he could even move Thor standing up.
    That analogy is not the same. He gave Thor top position and swept him. If it started on the feet the principles are the same, get your hips under his and throw him. Also big and strong doesn’t prevent someone from being taken down with a double leg. I find I hit double legs easier on tall strong guys.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post

He probably could take him down if he got behind him, which is what he’s good at in the standing position. Again watch any of the early UFC’s, or bob sapps 600lb nfl ass get submitted by a 220lb noguera in a fight. You sound stupid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast