starting strength gym

Thread: Strength standards

Default Strength standards

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am curious to know what numbers in the five main lifts are achievable at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years of the SS method (providing food and recovery are followed).

I know this can be split into many categories - but what is realistic for someone to be lifting at those time points in relation to their body weight?

A table that would include basic variables like exercise, age, sex.

For example, a 20-year old male novice 'should' be deadlifting 5 reps @ 2x BW at 6 months/2.5x BW at 1 year, etc...

Too many variables. Resist the temptation to set limits on yourself.

I've been training for 15 years and, five years ago, I thought I could never hit a 315lb press or a 600lb deadlift. Last year, I pulled 615lb and pressed 285lb. 315 is starting to look a lot more realistic.

If someone made those standards you're talking about, no one would be happy with them anyway. Everyone "underperforming" would be pissed and think they're genetically inferior or that the method doesn't work. Everyone who could "overperform" would artificially limit themselves and land on mediocre.

Just add 5lb, don't miss workouts, and try to be happy but not complacent at each level of strength improvement.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Too many variables. Resist the temptation to set limits on yourself.
    Thanks Rip.

It's a common question clients ask me about what they 'should' lift, so I'll use your advice.

Thanks Andrew. Makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    ...try to be happy but not complacent at each level of strength improvement.
    Andrew: I love the way you frame that. Concise, dead on... Well said, sir. Thank you.