starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re press

Default Question re press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 3 months in my LP.

Numbers are (3x5): Squat: 288lbs, Deadlift: 260lbs, Bench Press: 156lbs, Press: 113lbs.

I'm not doing the power clean as I had form issues with the deadlift and after seeing a SS Coach he advised I run the program without the Power Clean for now. Haven't experienced fatigue from deadlift yet.

The press is getting tough now. Last two reps of set two and three on the edge.

Is my first change to move from 2lb increases to 1lb rather than 3 x 3?

Thanks

Age/height/bodyweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Age/height/bodyweight?
    37/6 foot 2/238 lbs.

I'm sorry your coach didn't want to teach you the power clean. We're working on this. Try moving the press to 3s and see what happens. Post a video so we can see if you're using your hips correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm sorry your coach didn't want to teach you the power clean. We're working on this. Try moving the press to 3s and see what happens. Post a video so we can see if you're using your hips correctly.
    I'll post a video next time around as of all the lifts it feels off, while others feel solid.

As my deadlift is still quite light would you keep going without the power clean or add it in now?

I must say the SS Coach was great and we went through all the lifts. He picked up on all my mistakes and it was a really good experience overall.

Your squat is 28 pounds ahead of your deadlift, and barring very odd anthropometry this should not be the case. Your squat is probably high. The power clean is pulling practice, and it won't hurt you at all, but we need to see your squat and deadlift. Post these in the Technique forum.

I originally went to the SSC to fix my deadlift as I had injured it with poor form. I then only added 4 lbs (2kg) to the bar each time as I was scared to go higher and hurt my back again. Pussy maybe?

Thats why the deadlift is lagging behind.

Squats are definitely below parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebM View Post
    I originally went to the SSC to fix my deadlift as I had injured it with poor form. I then only added 4 lbs (2kg) to the bar each time as I was scared to go higher and hurt my back again. Pussy maybe?
    Always a possibility.

Videos of press and squat now on the technique forum.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebM View Post
    I'm 3 months in my LP.

Numbers are (3x5): Squat: 288lbs, Deadlift: 260lbs, Bench Press: 156lbs, Press: 113lbs.

I'm not doing the power clean as I had form issues with the deadlift and after seeing a SS Coach he advised I run the program without the Power Clean for now. Haven't experienced fatigue from deadlift yet.

The press is getting tough now. Last two reps of set two and three on the edge.

Is my first change to move from 2lb increases to 1lb rather than 3 x 3?

Thanks
    Who is your coach?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast