starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification re reset

Default Clarification re reset

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I only got 2 reps on the last work set of squats today. Will try again at the same weight next workout.

If I fail again, reading page 94/95 in practical programming it recommends reducing the weight and trying again for 3 x 5.

However in the "Reset: Why and How" article it says reduce 5% and add a light squat day at 80% for 5 x 2.

Is there a preferred way out of the two options?

Thanks

Light day always comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Light day always comes first.
    Caleb, think of why each measure is done.

The reset is for when you've overreached - you've overstressed yourself beyond ability to recover within 48-72 hours as a novice. This is probably because you messed up, if trying the same weight again on the next training day didn't work...

The light day is for when you're getting toward the end of the novice phase, and will need more than 48-72 hours to recover. This happens with individual exercises at different rates, and is normal as you train properly. The light day keeps the weights going up, which is what you want.

Doing the light day is therefore the next natural iteration in the training process. I'd think of a reset as a dramatic intervention, and more of a necessary evil.

Ok great. I'll add the light day if I fail next time around. Hopefully I can get the reps tho.

Sorry one other question.

I assume the when adding a light day you continue to add weight to that day each time around?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CalebM View Post
    I only got 2 reps on the last work set of squats today
    If you made the first 2 sets of 5, and only got 2 reps on the last set the issue is not strength. That should be obvious.

The light day is a percentage offset from your heavy lift, so yes, add 5 pounds to keep it in that ballpark. The percentage will creep up as you increase both lifts but it would be very surprising if this phase of novice programming lasted long enough for that to matter.

Got the three sets of five today on the squat but press went: 4,4,3.

Is the right approach to now do 5 sets of 3 at a reduced load? If so what percentage.

Thanks

When you drop from 3x5 to 5x3, there is no reduction in load: you just start progressing the triples from where your 3x5 left off. If you haven't start microloading the presses, I'd say just do that and see if your 3x5 work continues. When that's done, just switch to triples for a few weeks, then move pressing up to intermediate.

It is theoretically possible to do a reset on the pressing exercises but I would in general just skip it: presses are not systemically fatiguing in the way squats are so resetting your press weight isn't going to do anything but set you back. The reason you stop making progress on the presses is not because you become unable to recover from the presses, but because the increases become insufficient to trigger the adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    When you drop from 3x5 to 5x3, there is no reduction in load: you just start progressing the triples from where your 3x5 left off. If you haven't start microloading the presses, I'd say just do that and see if your 3x5 work continues. When that's done, just switch to triples for a few weeks, then move pressing up to intermediate.

It is theoretically possible to do a reset on the pressing exercises but I would in general just skip it: presses are not systemically fatiguing in the way squats are so resetting your press weight isn't going to do anything but set you back. The reason you stop making progress on the presses is not because you become unable to recover from the presses, but because the increases become insufficient to trigger the adaptations.
    Thanks for your post.

Re micro loading, I currently add 1kg each time, would you go down to 0.5kg?

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebM View Post
    Thanks for your post.

Re micro loading, I currently add 1kg each time, would you go down to 0.5kg?

Thanks
    Not for as long as the 1 kg jumps are working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast