starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed out on a clean. Any reason not to proceed?

Default Passed out on a clean. Any reason not to proceed?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I passed out on my first clean attempt during my workout this morning. I can't remember if I made it to rack position or not. Last memory was gathering my grip and starting up my legs, then I woke up on my side.

I searched here and read about the neck pressure issue. Still learning the clean so I may very well have hit my neck. Weight was 65 lbs. Blood pressure and heart rate seemed normal about an hour later. Had a slight headache/head pressure. Only change to diet recently was adding 2500 mg of potassium daily about 3 days prior to this workout. Taking it with the 2:1 cal/mag and staying hydrated.

My question is concerning Tuesday's workout. Any reason to wait before continuing training? I feel back to normal at this point.

This produces no lasting damage, unless you fall and break your teeth. Count them.

They appear to all still be there. Scared the hell out of me more than anything. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbucha View Post
    I passed out on my first clean attempt during my workout this morning. I can't remember if I made it to rack position or not. Last memory was gathering my grip and starting up my legs, then I woke up on my side.

I searched here and read about the neck pressure issue. Still learning the clean so I may very well have hit my neck. Weight was 65 lbs. Blood pressure and heart rate seemed normal about an hour later. Had a slight headache/head pressure. Only change to diet recently was adding 2500 mg of potassium daily about 3 days prior to this workout. Taking it with the 2:1 cal/mag and staying hydrated.

My question is concerning Tuesday's workout. Any reason to wait before continuing training? I feel back to normal at this point.
    You will adapt to the syncope, but be careful not to kill yourself before then. A free fall can be lethal. An OP 135 lb press used to do this to me, but now it’s merely a warm-up weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbucha View Post

Are you taking the valsalva properly?
    Mabye you could post a video of your next clean session

I had the same problem when I started. I didn´t pass out, but I had to sit down and my limbs would start to jerk around as if I was having electric shocks. It was very disturbing. This keep happened more than once. I was about to quit the doing power cleans, when I read this article:

Stop Catching Your Cleans Like a Fool by Phil Meggers, SSC (August 10, 2021)
    Stop Catching Your Cleans Like a Fool | Phil Meggers

Once I improved my landing position, the problem just went away.

This also happened to me when I started cleaning. Didn’t pass out, but got real wobbly. It went away fairly quickly. I chalked it up to my body just being unfamiliar with that kind of explosive activity.

Late to the party here, but I'm going to go against the grain and say its NOT a "normal" passing-out-in-the-clean.
    OP, do you mean a clean, or a power clean? (those terms are used interchangeably quite a bit here and other places).

That's not normal to me.
    Usually you catch it wrong (or not) on your neck/throat/collar bones and pass out while standing up, or just after standing.
    Memory loss to that extent isn't a thing normally.

Espeically with ...

65 lbs
    That doesn't seem like that would be a weight to do "it"; recovering from the bottom of the catch/front-squat, even if caught incorrectly. Even for a total novice.
    If the OP says this was a 65 lb power clean, welp, that would be even more disconcerting (to me).

If you put an empty bar on the wrong place on your throat, you're going to pass out. The fact that it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. And some people are more prone to this than others.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you put an empty bar on the wrong place on your throat, you're going to pass out. The fact that it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people. And some people are more prone to this than others.
    Is this related to carotid sinus sensitivity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast