starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's my progress?

Default How's my progress?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Phase 2 right now, about 2 and a half months into SS.

DL has went up from 173lb to 286, Squat has went up from 143lb to 192lb, Bench has went up from 88lb to 132lb.

Is my progress at a normal rate, or should I switch up to phase 3?

Quote Originally Posted by potto View Post

DL has went up from 173lb to 286, Squat has went up from 143lb to 192lb, Bench has went up from 88lb to 132lb.

Is my progress at a normal rate, or should I switch up to phase 3?
    Why are your numbers not rounded to 5 or 0?
    2 and a half months is 30 squat sessions, 5lbs a session is 150lbs on your squat, you've increased your Squat by 49lbs over 30 sessions, which is 1.5lbs per session, so something's wrong unless you are in a special demographic, which I doubt if you are switching to phase 2 which includes power cleans

Whenever you ask questions about your program, be more precise with the question and give basic info about yourself (sex, age, height, weight) and answer the First Three Questions (you'll find the article on the website)

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Why are your numbers not rounded to 5 or 0?
    Probably kg > lb conversion, looking at those particular numbers...

I'm converting from KG to lb, since the sites American.

My squat is likely due to my working weight being a fair bit lower than my 1RM when I started, which I could fix pretty easily by just adjusting for 1RM percentage. Other than squat, which I will fix on Monday, is there any other advice you have?

Male, 21, 6'1, 74KG.

4-5 minutes, 5lb per session right now, but that has been inconsistent early on before I started tracking with a log, about 4,000 kcal minimum daily with 200-250g protein, 400-450g carbs, 250g fat. My sleep is not optimal though.

Thank you for your reply.

Don't worry about 1RM. Just add 2.5 kg each workout and record it in your log, which you should keep under your pillow and also take with you to the bathroom.

You appear to think this is the case, but a lot of what you have said seems inconsistent with that statement. For one, the mentioning of a "1rm" calculation. You don't give numbers for the press or clean. And you mention that your increments were "inconsistent before [you] started tracking with a log", but don't mention for how long or at what point 1RM was used to calculate working weight. I have no idea what you mean by the squat "being a fair bit lower than the 1rm when you started" as a justification for why it's so low. Were the other lifts...not? Why not? How are you going to "fix" it?

Don't convert your weights: just say what weights you are actually lifting and what increments you are actually using. We're American, but we can still do math, and it's more important to know what actually happens in the gym than how it can be massaged into what you think the forum wants to hear. When you say "I am doing the Starting Strength NLP", that should give us a description of what actually happened. If you do something different than that, you need to tell us.

Please give a description of what you are actually doing, since it is clear it differs in many extremely relevant ways from the starting strength NLP. Have you read the Blue book?

I'm converting from KG to lb, since the sites American.

My squat is likely due to my working weight being a fair bit lower than my 1RM when I started, which I could fix pretty easily by just adjusting for 1RM percentage. Other than squat, which I will fix on Monday, is there any other advice you have?

Male, 21, 6'1, 74KG.

4-5 minutes, 5lb per session right now, but that has been inconsistent early on before I started tracking with a log, about 4,000 kcal minimum daily with 200-250g protein, 400-450g carbs, 250g fat. My sleep is not optimal though.

Thank you for your reply.
    You haven't been doing the program for 2 and a half months, so the advice is, start doing the program.
    5lbs jumps every time for a few weeks and get to 220lbs bodyweight FAST. Drop your fat intake, 250g is way too much. You can ask Santana in the nutrition section but it sounds like a lot to me. 150g of fat sounds more reasonable, and with 250g of protein and 450g of carbs you are above 4000 kcal

I'm doing SS Novice Progression and reading SS, currently on page 78 (Could not translate well to the real book, since I'm reading the eBook). Clean is 45KG, though I haven't tested 1RM, likewise, press is 35KG, though I haven't tested 1RM. Probably about 2 weeks to 3 weeks of not logging I'd say, and a month ish before logging consistently. I calculated working weight based on 1RM at the start of this month, before that I just started at what I thought I could do. The reason for the squat being lower than 1RM when I started was because I was scared of testing 1RM on squat, though this has since changed. The other lifts I was not scared of testing with.

If I could use KG then, that'd be much easier, thanks.

Aye, starting out I was inconsistent. I've been doing 5lb (2.5KG) jumps for the past couple weeks now consistently.

I could drop fat intake, sure. I'm trying to go for 220lb. Thanks for the reply.

starting strength coach development program
    At no point in any of our programming is 1RM used to determine training intensity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast