starting strength gym

Thread: How is my progress - need an advice

Default How is my progress - need an advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everybody. I'm 1.88 cm (6'2 feet), 67.5 kg (149 lb), 34 years old, started strength training in 01.03.2022 my weight was 67.5 kg (149 lb).
    very thin frame and ectomorph of course. After 3 months I'm 71.5 kg (157 lb).

My strength program is 5*5 reps of squat, bench press, over head press, dead lift and barbell row.
    Only three exercises each time.

I started from low weights (7 kg barbell and plates both sides);
    Squat –27 kg (59 lb)
    Bench press – 27 kg (59 lb)
    Overhead press – 17 kg (37lb)
    Dead lift- 27 kg (59 lb)
    Barbell back row- 27kg (59 lb)

After few weeks I didn’t manage to add linier weight for 3 sets so I moved to add weight only at the final rep so my session is 60%, 70%, 80%,90%, 100% when in the 100% is the only one set I'm adding more weight 1.25.(2.7lb)

I'm eating 30% fat, 35% protein, 35% carbs – 3200 calories a day (clean calories).

In the last 2 weeks I can't add even 1.25 kg (2.7lb) to my sets and it seems like my body cant recover from each session that quick any more.

My current weights are (7 kg barbell and plates both sides):

Squat –55 kg (121 lb)
    Bench press – 57 kg (126 lb)
    Overhead press – 37 kg (82 lb)
    Dead lift- 47 kg (104 lb)
    Barbell back row- 47kg (104 lb)

I gained muscle and fat in the process. Went from 12% fat to 16.5% I can feel and see it on my body. (not professional scale measurement – just a Shuimi electronic scale).
    I also gained muscle I see it on my legs, chest, shoulder and arms.

The question is if I should increase my calories intake – or am I can't recover that fast anymore and I should increase weight only once a week.
    I'm afraid to gain more body fat and don’t want to increase my caloric intake in vain.

I heard people on 4500 calories diets and I'm scared Ill gain too much fat.

I'm lifting approximately 75% of my body weight – is it a set point to start adding weights once a week instead each session?

Thank you for your knowledge and comments!

If you are 6'2" and 157 pounds and you are "worried about putting on body fat", you have body dysmorphia. This diagnosis is often accompanied by an undercurrent of cheeky irony on this board, but your case is extreme enough that I think you seriously need to consider counseling. That's not right man. You are flirting with being medically underweight. If you gain ten pounds of pure fat, honestly that would be nothing but good news. Your psychology is presenting counterfactuals, and you need to get that sorted.

There is no set point for progressing to intermediate training, because it differs slightly on a case by case basis. But for pretty much ever human being you should not even think about progressing to intermediate training until you can squat and deadlift your bodyweight, and probably not even then. And for you, that's your HEALTHY bodyweight. Which is not 71.5 kilos.

Do the novice program as detailed in the book, eat 5000 calories, and every time you worry about "getting fat" before you are 200 pounds, slam your hand in a car door.

And for the love of Christ do not use a 7 kg barbell. Come on man.

One of the characteristics of "body dysmorphia" is the inability to accept the diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    If you are 6'2" and 157 pounds and you are "worried about putting on body fat", you have body dysmorphia. This diagnosis is often accompanied by an undercurrent of cheeky irony on this board, but your case is extreme enough that I think you seriously need to consider counseling. That's not right man. You are flirting with being medically underweight. If you gain ten pounds of pure fat, honestly that would be nothing but good news. Your psychology is presenting counterfactuals, and you need to get that sorted.

There is no set point for progressing to intermediate training, because it differs slightly on a case by case basis. But for pretty much ever human being you should not even think about progressing to intermediate training until you can squat and deadlift your bodyweight, and probably not even then. And for you, that's your HEALTHY bodyweight. Which is not 71.5 kilos.

Do the novice program as detailed in the book, eat 5000 calories, and every time you worry about "getting fat" before you are 200 pounds, slam your hand in a car door.

And for the love of Christ do not use a 7 kg barbell. Come on man.
    Thank you for the comment my main concern was that I reached to intermediate level, now I know that I should lift at least my normal body weight before even consider it. I needed that guideline so I can know approximately that I have to raise my calorie intake.

I appreciate your concern about body dysmorphia, I'm probably struggling with it but I am not used to the feeling that my pants becoming a bit tight and having a little belly .That's a big change for me both physical and psychological - which I'm processing.

I will increase my calorie intake its gonna take a toll on me but doesn't have any choice.

Tnx again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idanmad View Post
    I appreciate your concern about body dysmorphia, I'm probably struggling with it but I am not used to the feeling that my pants becoming a bit tight and having a little belly
    I give you a lot of credit for recognizing that your feelings don’t align with the facts. As an aside, it’s common for someone with poor posture (namely an excessive lordosis and an anterior pelvic tilt) to stand with their belly protruding. This can create the illusion of a potbelly, when it’s really just the way he or she is standing. I haven’t seen your picture, sink don’t know if this applies to you specifically.

Anyway, the low hanging fruit for you is heathy body weight gain. A few tips: be consistent, start with a baseline of caloric intake and gradually layer in more, find a protein shake recipe you like, try not to eat anything plain, make meals you genuinely enjoy and finally wake up with enough time to eat a good breakfast. Your body will adapt and a food intake which may be tough now will be normal pretty soon.