starting strength gym

Thread: questions about TRT

Default questions about TRT

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, this is my first time posting. I'm 5'9 240 31 years old, I was listening to one of Rip's podcasts about testosterone and when he was talking about the symptoms it felt like he was just describing my everyday life. I've had horrible depression all my life, as well as anxiety, no sex drive what-so-ever (i had to ask what he meant when the doc asked me about it), carry fat, dont sleep, and the list goes on. I've been to multiple doctors about it and even several therapists and they always just gave me different SSRIs and benzos. Anyways I finally got it tested and Im about 170... I don't know a lot about test but I think thats pretty low along side the symptoms I have.

My question is what do I do from here... schedule another appointment and talk to him about trt? what number range should I try to aim for? It was a weird feeling that I was excited that it was low since it would explain so many problems I've had throughout my life. Any tips on what my next steps should be would be appreciated. And thanks for the starting strength fellows for spreading awareness about it.

thank you

You should work with a clinic with the experience and means to help treat you. With your clinic doctor, you will form an action plan based on his experience and your symptoms.

Your post reads like my life at 25 except I took the SSRIs and now regret having not tried TRT first. I've been using Wittmer. I like him.

I noticed a difference in my mood and motivation 28 hours after my first injection.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    You should work with a clinic with the experience and means to help treat you. With your clinic doctor, you will form an action plan based on his experience and your symptoms.

Your post reads like my life at 25 except I took the SSRIs and now regret having not tried TRT first. I've been using Wittmer. I like him.

I noticed a difference in my mood and motivation 28 hours after my first injection.
    thanks for the reply. I am a bit worried since my doctor has already mentioned to alternative methods for raising test instead of actual trt. He told me i should try to lose weight first...but I have been trying that already. Are you still on SSRIs? I was wondering if trt goes well if I could get off of them. I really hate the zombie feeling they give me.

Not that he needs it, but I'll echo absolutely everything that the esteemed Mr. Lewis said.

I've fought depression as far back in my life as I can remember, and there is an enormous overlap in major depression and low T symptoms. I've also been using Wittmer, and had uniformly good experiences with them - they're good folks. When it's indicated (as determined and administered by an experienced clinic like Wittmer's), hormone optimization is a life changer. Thankfully, I was already on TRT late last year before I got unexpectedly laid off, and I shudder to think the headspace I'd have been in otherwise. I can only imagine where I'd be now if this had been on the table decades ago.

No one is exaggerating the speed with which you notice the therapeutic results, either - I, too noticed changes by the second day, and one of my co-workers remarked within a week. "Lately you've been less..um..." "Of an asshole?" "Yeah - that!" She wasn't wrong.

One other thing - you mention not sleeping. Are you talking poor quality of sleep, or just not sleeping? If the former, have you looked into figuring out if you have sleep apnea?

One of the ways I sum up my experiences is that, like depression, having low T erodes personal agency. Fixing your T helps with that immediately. You're already stepping into seizing agency by looking into this and asking around - well done, sir. Be encouraged, and keep going.

+1 for Dr. Wittmer. You will need to have a test run through the lab he uses. Just purchase the blood work directly through his website and his assistants will reach out and guide you through the process. Google Wittmer Rejuvenation Clinic. Once your labs are processed book your consult directly with Dr. Wittmer. He gives you an hour of his time and answers any and all questions. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dingus View Post
    thanks for the reply. I am a bit worried since my doctor has already mentioned to alternative methods for raising test instead of actual trt. He told me i should try to lose weight first...but I have been trying that already. Are you still on SSRIs? I was wondering if trt goes well if I could get off of them. I really hate the zombie feeling they give me.
    Who do you belong to? Yourself, or your Doctor? See what low-T will do to a guy?

Quote Originally Posted by dingus View Post
    I don't know your specific circumstances, but based on what you've said, it sounds like your doctor is not well informed on TRT and it's not a good fit at this point.
    If you came to me and said "I think bodybuilding is what I need to do" and I said "no, it's not" and you decided I was wrong and you were going to do bodybuilding, you should not ask me to be your bodybuilding coach regardless of how smart or informed you believe I am on strength training or whatever.

To answer your question, I do not know what being on TRT and SSRIs would be like, so I'm not going to speculate. I have not been on Effexor or an SSRI since 2018. I titrated off over the course of a month. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Maybe TRT at the same time would have curtailed the withdraw effects of Effexor.

Like I said, I would call Wittmer and ask him. I have no doubt he's worked with people on SSRIs to get on TRT and potentially get off SSRIs.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who do you belong to? Yourself, or your Doctor? See what low-T will do to a guy?
    you're probably right. Im 31 but still feel like a man-child, iv never had drive to do anything in my life.

I got in contact with Wittmer. I'll see how it goes from there. Thanks everyone