starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Fear in Barbell Training (and How to Overcome it) | Steve Ross

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Fear in Barbell Training (and How to Overcome it) | Steve Ross

    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sooner or later, a time will come when the weight on your back becomes terrifying – and the fear of failure or even injury can be paralyzing. I've seen lifters literally freeze on the platform, re-rack a heavy bar, and not attempt a rep they aren't sure they can complete.

    Read more

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Probably dumb but I recently started warming up to a single heavier than the first work set of squats and that seems to take the edge off. I always seem to struggle more on the first set than the third of squats.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevein7 View Post
    Probably dumb but I recently started warming up to a single heavier than the first work set of squats and that seems to take the edge off. I always seem to struggle more on the first set than the third of squats.
    If it's dumb, you're not the only one guilty... I call those overshoot singles, and I've found them helpful in a lot of cases, as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Doesn’t Rip say in one of the books that he has seen numerous examples of people hitting new 5RMs straight after doing heavy singles?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,640

    Default

    I don't remember him saying that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    14

    Default

    PPST3, page 283 (on my kindle edition at least) under the sub heading Back-off Sets:
    “Many lifters have found that they actually set the majority of their 5-rep PRs when they are done after a heavy single.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,640

    Default

    Fascinating. I forgot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyleeroy View Post
    PPST3, page 283 (on my kindle edition at least) under the sub heading Back-off Sets:
    “Many lifters have found that they actually set the majority of their 5-rep PRs when they are done after a heavy single.”
    You are so bad��

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyleeroy View Post
    PPST3, page 283 (on my kindle edition at least) under the sub heading Back-off Sets:
    “Many lifters have found that they actually set the majority of their 5-rep PRs when they are done after a heavy single.”
    If the quote is in the context of Back-off sets, he did not mean to use a heavy single in your warm-up to feel more confident about your 5 rep set.
    That's dumb because you are wasting energy that should be reserved for the heavy set of 5.
    He meant that intermediates or advanced lifters who program heavy sets and back-offs can still hit PRs for 5 on their back-off if their heavy set is a single.

    If you are doing 3 sets of 5 across and adding weight every workout or every other workout, you are a novice and have no business doing singles.
    Just accept you will always be afraid of a new weight that you don't know you can lift, but you do it anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    279

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    If the quote is in the context of Back-off sets, he did not mean to use a heavy single in your warm-up to feel more confident about your 5 rep set.
    That's dumb because you are wasting energy that should be reserved for the heavy set of 5.
    He meant that intermediates or advanced lifters who program heavy sets and back-offs can still hit PRs for 5 on their back-off if their heavy set is a single.

    If you are doing 3 sets of 5 across and adding weight every workout or every other workout, you are a novice and have no business doing singles.
    Just accept you will always be afraid of a new weight that you don't know you can lift, but you do it anyway.
    Semantics.

    Where is energy wasted if the single and the 3 work sets across are all completed? Sounds like a good intense workout to me.

    If the work sets start failing then rethink the single.

    And before it's brought to my attention, I realize that the heavy single + 3 sets across = YNDTP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •