starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement Is For The Weak | David Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilidog View Post
    I am 71. Retired at 62. It has been a life saver. Should I have continued in my business? Continued the stress? Oh, hell no! If your life is defined by your job…..well, you better love your job. Recently my wife and I spent the afternoon in a beautiful botanical garden, then stopped at a new restaurant for a pleasant lunch. Tomorrow at noon….SS Beaverton…..bench, deads, ez press. To each his own I suppose. Best of luck whatever your choice!
    I retired at 59, 14 years ago. Not sure how I ever had time to work! Work was never my reason for living. I am much better at fucking off. "Fuck you money" is very liberating.

Boomers rule!

I’m not a boomer.

------------------

Sorry to hear about your folks.

It’s difficult to watch. Best you can do is stay strong, productive, and save lots of money.

Great article.

My Dad worked hard w/ most of it being building or running businesses. He sold the last one at age 58 for enough to retire very comfortably given how the markets had historically returned a little more than inflation (that's gone now of course, at least with the current FRN).

After the sale he stuck around as a consultant, so never really fully retired. About a year later was diagnosed with cancer and passed several months later. The worst part was watching a strapping fella close to me waste away, but I don't think he would've ever fully retired. I was happy to see him "de-stress" a bit though. If he would've fully retired from formal "work", pretty sure he would've spent 90% of it outside in the woods, on a lake, and/or with his grandkids, but he never got the chance. I know he regretted not spending enough time with his family, but then he pretty much had his hands full feeding and housing them. So I also know he sorely regretted not having much time w/ grandchildren, but that was out of his control at that point. He may have more fully retired if work was getting in the way of enough time w/ grandkids, but I don't think he would've spent much time in a rocking chair.

I am that same age right now, and believe me this question (will I ever fully retire, if so when or should I?) weighs very heavily on me now-a-days, especially with a new grandson.

I have reasons to be sympathetic to retirement for some motivations (like more active time w/ family) but I don't think a rocking chair type retirement is appropriate for anyone unless it's forced due to health. Other than my Dad I've seen quite a few in my Dad's generation or older decline fast after a rocking chair type retirement, and now that I say that, he mentioned the very same a few years before he retired.

starting strength coach development program
    This sentiment is respectable. You would probably love Emerson. Specifically Self Reliance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12