starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Is For The Weak | David Lewis

Default Retirement Is For The Weak | David Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It seems like such a bizarre idea today, but without a retirement to look forward to, you have to keep working. You have to keep making future financial plans. You have to save money and keep investing in yourself, your business, your life, with an eye toward perpetual growth for as long as growth is possible. And when growth is no longer possible, death quickly follows.

Read more

This is a must-read article. Very nice work here David. Iím 46 years old, and have 4 children ages 16 to 1. Iíll be working for a long, long time - and thatís just how I like it. Iíve always thought of ďretirementĒ as going out to pasture - sounds awful. I intend to be in a position where I can fill my time with various pursuits and one benefit will be some level of increased flexibility to choose what those are without the responsibility of children at home. Lifting weights and staying strong is going to be a critical component of maximizing that future time of my life.

Great article- loved the historical perspective. I have recently adjusted my career to one I look forwards to continuing as long as possible vs one to be tolerated until I can leave at the earliest possible age

Damn this one hit hard. Great read. I legitimately teared up at the end. Iím 36, and my parents are just passing 70. They are in the process of building a place to live next door. This article described their path and mindset to a T. Retirement is their mindset - they sit around, maybe do some traveling and camping. Exercise consists of walking. They look forward to the social security checks. Keeping them from staying glued to the couch and the screens is a losing battle.

Iím not sure what to do besides let it play out. I already notice the cognitive decline, and theyíve only been retired a few years. People donít just decide to pick up a barbell at 70, or even gather the motivation to choose a purpose. Shit is sad.

Watching all of this makes me understand the men I work with that have the mentality of ďdie with your boots onĒ. I respect it and hope I have that mentality and ability when the time comes.

You know every time one of those reports about some population in Sicily or Japan or the Urals or something with an uncommonly long life span bubbles into the news, there's lots of hemming and hawing about whether it's something in the diet, and lots of puzzled astonishment at the fact that they don't abstain from smoking or drinking.

It seems like what's missed is the common thread: all of these populations are tiny villages, reliant almost exclusively on their own reproductive capacity to maintain their population, and as a result, their elderly members are working essentially until the day they die. They cannot afford to have the eldest basketweaver or fishgutter "retire", because then there wouldn't be enough basketweavers or fishgutters to meet the needs of the community. And so you keep going until you're 120 years old.

one of the best articles on this website.
    thank you.
    exactly what i needed to read right nowó-
    🙏🏾💪🏾

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    You know every time one of those reports about some population in Sicily or Japan or the Urals or something with an uncommonly long life span bubbles into the news, there's lots of hemming and hawing about whether it's something in the diet, and lots of puzzled astonishment at the fact that they don't abstain from smoking or drinking.
    Funny you should mention that in the context of this article. It turns out that what most of those places have in common are poor record-keeping and relatively high poverty/crime inside of a developed country. The surplus of centenarians are likely instead younger relatives posing as passed family members to collect pensions and other government benefits. Besides, the original research on "blue zones" was heavily cherry-picked data for use in vegetarian propaganda.

Peak boomer article right there

I am 71. Retired at 62. It has been a life saver. Should I have continued in my business? Continued the stress? Oh, hell no! If your life is defined by your job…..well, you better love your job. Recently my wife and I spent the afternoon in a beautiful botanical garden, then stopped at a new restaurant for a pleasant lunch. Tomorrow at noon….SS Beaverton…..bench, deads, ez press. To each his own I suppose. Best of luck whatever your choice!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilidog View Post
    I am 71. Retired at 62. It has been a life saver. Should I have continued in my business? Continued the stress? Oh, hell no! If your life is defined by your job…..well, you better love your job. Recently my wife and I spent the afternoon in a beautiful botanical garden, then stopped at a new restaurant for a pleasant lunch. Tomorrow at noon….SS Beaverton…..bench, deads, ez press. To each his own I suppose. Best of luck whatever your choice!
    I think if you're self-motivated enough to keep doing things that matter, it really doesn't have to be a "job" as such. For people with office jobs, "things that matter" often don't even include the job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast