starting strength gym

Thread: Training during wrestling season

Default Training during wrestling season

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone have any thoughts on how to effectively train during wrestling season? I currently have a sophomore that trained through summer and fall, but we always find it difficult during this time of year. Practices are 2:30-5 M-F and very fatiguing. Saturdays will be tough too once competition starts. Iím thinking maybe one session midweek before school and another on Sunday. Iím certainly open to ideas from anyone whoís been through this before though. Thanks all.

Does he have to make weight for some stupid fucking wrestling coach's weight class, is he being allowed to grow normally?

I would prefer he continue to get bigger and stronger through the season. Itís unlikely though given the practice workload and general lack of appetite after. I didnít wrestle and had similar appetite issues in season for other sports. Simply didnít want to eat afterwards. The primary goal now is to find a way to get in some useful training with everything else he has going.

Useful training cannot be accomplished in the absence of a protein/caloric surplus. Or in the presence of high school wrestling coaches or ballet teachers. These people are dangerous to your children.

Conjugate training is your best bet being that it is completely auto regulated by the intensity you can lift on that particular day. Search for Andy Baker and Coach nicks video about this. There are also a couple of examples in PPST3 of that style of programming.

When I was a high school wrestler, I remember being too wrecked from in-season practices to consider doing anything else. It may be more productive to pick strength training up again after the season ends.

As a former wrestler, both high school and college, i can say that making progress in strength during season is unlikely. The main reason is that you have to stay in your weight class. There are weight allowances throughout the season but its only a couple pounds. The amount of high intensity sport practice also competes with force production from a weightlifting standpoint since wrestling is not a short burst sport, but rather a mix of power and endurance. Type 2a fibers (the ones that can do both). I would walk away from practice and meets exhausted and probably burned over a thousand calories per practice. Being in "sport shape" for wrestling is going to matter more during the season than progressing on his lifts, but the fact that he trained prior should help.

If I were going to go back and try to keep some barbell training during the season, which is a good idea, I would do one session per week S/B/D or S/OHP/D keeping volume low and intensity fairly high, to maintain that neural skill and the strength he gained prior. Volume will be detrimental since he will not have the resources available to recover from that since wrestling is so demanding. I would put this training day on Sunday, since that is the only day we didnt wrestle. A teenager doesnt need a day off the way an adult does. MOnday typically is the hardest sport practice (red flag sessions and lots of live wrestling) and thursday we had meets, saturdays were tournaments. I suppose if you wanted to add a 2nd training day you could have him do a light session on thursday since on meet day you typically only wrestle one match, which is easier than any practice day and easier than a tournament day. If I could go back I would have done this:

Sun - no wrestling day plus Train heavy
    Squat 3x5
    bench 3x5
    DL 1x5

monday-practice
    tuesday-practice
    wed - practice

thursday
    - meet day plus train light
    light squat 2x5 (-10%from sun)
    press 3x5
    cleans 5x3

friday - practice
    sat - tournament

just what i would do. and I NEVER WOULD HAVE CUT WEIGHT if i could go back. stupidest thing i ever did, didnt help my performance one bit, in fact hurt it and took the fun out of the sport. but i have great memories from wrestling. its awesome for kids

Heís not attempting to lose weight, I just expect gaining to be difficult given the calories burned with practice. We can certainly try to up the intake as much as possible.

With that in mind and the schedule/energy issues in the evenings after practice, do you have any training recommendations?

I wrestled in college and lifted once or twice a week during the season depending on the competition schedule. I never had to struggle to make my weight for the last two seasons but I would lift when I knew I could eat more for a day or two after lifting. Otherwise common sense. No lifting on the day before a match or tournament. The day after a tournament was good because practice would not be as long.
    In season training was similar to that of master's trainees. Work up to one heavy set then a few back off sets. Not usually doing sets across during the season unless we had a break from competition like at Christmas.

The archaic methods of severe weight cutting and dehydration are hopefully gone. Coaches with half a brain realize that strength, conditioning and technique lead to success rather than battling the scales.

I would not expect your son to continue with typical NLP gains on the bar during the season especially if he does not plan on going up in weight class during the season.

Is wrestling a priority for your son? If so, he can find a way to add some weight training during the season. If wrestling is not a priority, then I would expect his career to be short. It's tough to wrestle just as a "school activity".

This is one of the only times I would say to ignore Rip. High school wrestling was slow to enter Texas so he may have dealt with antiquated and foolish wrestling coaches.
    Wrestlers greatly benefit from weight training and are used to doing difficult things so just use some common sense during the season then hit the weights hard in the off season. It will pay off.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, especially those with firsthand experience with lifting while wrestling. Truly appreciate the insight.