starting strength gym

Thread: How does TX Cafe keep knives sharp?

Default How does TX Cafe keep knives sharp?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Love TX Cafe Classics and Contemporary TX Kitchen. Proud owner of TX Cafe apron, every single recipe is fantastic, Lodge cast iron skillet is the go to, etc

What is the recommendation for keeping cooking knives sharp? Manual with a stone seems time consuming for a working kitchen. If electric sharpeners, which brand is recommended please?

Since Rip has never steered me wrong I thought Id just cut to the chase and ask. Christmas is coming and a gift from me to me is in order.

I use a combination of a whetstone and a knife steel. Use the whetstone to build the edge occasionally, and the steel to dress the edge before each use.

My whetstone: Amazon.com

Wasn't this goddamn expensive 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I use a combination of a whetstone and a knife steel. Use the whetstone to build the edge occasionally, and the steel to dress the edge before each use.

These cheap stones work well:

Sharpening Stone Whetstone Set 2 Side Grit 400/1000 https://a.co/d/icsQI9l

Whetstone Sharpening Stone Kit Dual Sided 3000/8000 Grit Knife Sharpener Stone Wet Stone Set with Flattening Stone, Non-slip Bamboo Silicon Base Angle Guide https://a.co/d/99ef19x

You might add a smooth piece of leather with polish compound for stropping. Dominion might get into this business with cast-off pieces.

Hone the edge with a used Forschner steel from ebay.

Thank you both !

Great thread. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm very excited to have found a genuine Wusthof chef's knife at Goodwill for 69 cents last Sunday.

Rip, do you have a preferred knife brand?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I have several Dalstrong kitchen knives, and I'm happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Those Crystolon/India combos are really great knife and tool stones. You usually can find various versions of them in junk shops or ebay as long as you don't mind soaking them in Simple Green or something to get the rancid oil out of them.

starting strength coach development program
    I have used the Sharpenters mail away sharpening service for my cheap daily knives. You pay a subscription fee based on number of knives and twice a year you mail them your blades. Two weeks later, you have them back.

I have some very nice Japanese steel knives that Im simply hesitant to use because Ive never gotten the knack of using a stone to sharpen them. I also have a set of nice ceramic blades, but my everyday use comes from cheapish stainless steel.