starting strength gym

Thread: Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia

Default Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi team,

I recommended my friend to try Starting Strength, but he says that he has Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia (tightness in all of the muscles in the pelvic floor causing constipation and other pain), and lifting weights makes it worse.

I am curious to know if anyone has experienced this disease and if Starting Strength helps it or hurts it. (or tightness in the pelvic floor and how it relates to the 5 lifts.) Maybe there are some coaches on here who have had clients/trainees that have had this issue, and might be able to provide advice on it.

Kind regards,
    Tony

Anal sphincter dyssynergia
    Anal sphincter dyssynergia also known as pelvic floor dyssynergia is the weakening of the pelvic floor or sphincters in the anus. The pelvic floor are the muscles that attach to the pelvis in the abdomen. Anal sphincter dyssynergia can be caused by obstructions, but mostly improper relaxing of the anal sphincters or pelvic floor muscle during defecation. Also if there is a decrease in intrarectal pressure defecation can occur.[5]
    Your friend probably has a lot of anal sex, and doesn't want to train anyway. Bother somebody else about this and you'll be better off.

Sorry Tony, I actually have the opposite problem. I can't go a heavy squat day without sharting. Still get my 5 reps in, though.

It sounds like a name given to unexplained symptoms. Them saying they’ve had it exacerbated by lifting weights may be true but SS is so far from most “lifting weights” it could work for them. But also I am afraid certain personality types latch on to their diagnoses to avoid taking accountability for themselves- sorry.

I remember a guy on here talking about something like this a few years ago. Not sure what became of it, but if it’s already bad how much worse can weight training make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your friend probably has a lot of anal sex, and doesn't want to train anyway. Bother somebody else about this and you'll be better off.
    He wants to train, but uses the excuse that training causes more tightness the next day. His 2nd order desire is to train I suppose. I am unwilling to give up on trying to help him, I just want to know if there is any basis for training actually reducing the tightness / pain. If perhaps it may seem counter-intuitive to him, the training may strengthen the muscles, which may help. I would like to know if in your experience, you have heard of a case where an NLP / strength training has helped this issue.

Kind regards,
    Tony

Did he come to you asking for help gaining strength, or did you decide that he needs to get strong and that you're going to help him do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Did he come to you asking for help gaining strength, or did you decide that he needs to get strong and that you're going to help him do it?
    I did an NLP last year and sent him before and after progression info. He recently came to me with preset knowledge that getting stronger is going to help his life in general, but expressed reluctance to start training due to the pain. I responded in good faith that I would ask the guys at SS if they have heard of the pelvic floor issue.

starting strength coach development program
    We don't know anything about it. Training is too dangerous for this guy. Let it go.