starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Machines Vs free weights

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    From the article:

"Strength gains were modality specific, meaning they were exercise specific. So the machine group gained more strength on their machines and the barbell group gained more strength on their barbell lifts."

The thing is, I don't lift with a barbell to get strong at lifting with a barbell. I lift with a barbell to get strong at general life tasks. I'd like to see the study re-run and then people given every day tasks like EG putting a lawnmower in the back of pick-up, carrying somebody, pushing a broken down car etc and see which "modality" has the most carry over to real life. I think we know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have no doubt that "Pavel" works for this Menno guy.
    Menno Henselman:

"About
    Welcome! I'm an exercise scientist, author and founder of the Henselmans PT Certification. On this channel I provide you with evidence-based fitness information to master your physique.

If you're new to my channel, check out my free email course with my most popular contents: https://mennohenselmans.com/subscribe"

Just another social media huckster selling overly complex solutions to simple problems.

Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post

"I'm an exercise scientist, author and founder of the Henselmans PT Certification. On this channel I provide you with evidence-based fitness information to master your physique."
    I just threw up the beanie weenies I had for lunch

No, I don't don't work for 'Menno' guy and I've been (passive) reader of Starting strength forums for cca 20 years.
    I've got two editions of Starting strength including DVD at home besides other books
    by Mark Rippetoe, and I love them.🙂
    I've made a home gym based on his recommendations.😄
    So I've invested a lot, not just money, but also time and effort.
    But I like solid facts and that meta-analysis (not 'Menno') seems to offer them.

Or just test each group on the other group's exercises...?

Effect of free-weight vs. machine-based strength training on maximal strength, hypertrophy and jump performance a systematic review and meta-analysis - PMC.

Machines and free weight exercises: a systematic review and meta-analysis comparing changes in muscle size, strength, and power - PubMed

So these are the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    I just threw up the beanie weenies I had for lunch
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post
    Menno Henselman:

"About
    Welcome! I'm an exercise scientist, author and founder of the Henselmans PT Certification. On this channel I provide you with evidence-based fitness information to master your physique.

If you're new to my channel, check out my free email course with my most popular contents: https://mennohenselmans.com/subscribe"

Just another social media huckster selling overly complex solutions to simple problems.
    Perhaps, but he wasn't author of the studies.

Pavel, this is important: When a "peer-reviewed study" does not agree with the commonly observed phenomenology, the study is shit. Internalize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    increasingly (incorrect) fitness industry consensus
    I've only been at this a few years now, but I've already learned the "consensus" is actually a roller coaster that meanders between trends. These trends are usually started by a new study suggesting something without anyone scrutinizing their methods very deeply or looking for replication studies. "Volume is the main driver of hypertrophy" followed by "oh, wait, no it isn't" some time in the future is the kind of thing you can expect. Everyone's trying to figure out EXACTLY what is going on and how this works, but our ability to measure and conduct studies on this stuff is pretty lacking for a number of reasons. Trial and error and treating your own training as a big experiment is still probably the best you can do to really build an understanding of your own.

starting strength coach development program
    According to Menno Henselmans there is a view that leg extensions are better than squats for the quads due to the fact that the rectus femoris is worked more in leg extensions.
    Why leg extensions are a better quad exercise than squats

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast