starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benzodiazepines and Gains

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyStrong View Post
    He should still be able to progress even if he’s low on testosterone but following the first 3 questions right? I just made a post about that the other day and you said anyone will gain significant strength if they follow the protocol, so I’m just double checking

Do you think his problem is mental? Or if someone is low on testosterone they won’t gain considerable strength even while following everything correctly?
    A depressed elderly female will make progress on the program if done correctly. TRT addresses the issue his quack doctor prescribed the valium for.

And what if his testosterone levels are right and he actually has a neuropsichiatric issue? Sorry, I needed to ask it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    They are not really pharmacologically similar. Ethanol and Diazepam just have some overlap in their effect on the GABA-system.

My question would be what the daily dosage was, schedule, and the duration of the medication. Prescribing benzos for anxiety is not a good idea, though it can be argued that for a short time intervention in a critical situation it is okay. I never prescribe benzos in an outpatient setting, and certainly not for anxiety, which is better treated with behavioral therapy (learning to deal with it).

Higher doses of benzodiazepines can certainly affect your strength gains, mainly via affecting your ability to train hard. Drug effects include reduced drive (not just hip drive, though I'd bet the willingness to get out of the hole is affected, too), drowsiness, reduced alterness, increased frequency/probability of muscle cramps, sleeping disorders (yes) and reduced coordination. With long term medication it gets worse and includes a host of psychiatric symptoms.

On the other hand, if he just took a couple of mg/day for a couple of weeks, his issues are more likely to be related to his primary diagnosis (or other).
    His dose is 0.5mg Clonazepam, 3 times per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Tony, are you coaching him? If so, what did the 185 reps look like when he “stalled?”
    No I am not coaching him but he was being coached by a Starting Strength Online coach. I can provide videos of the stalls.

None of you really answered the question that I asked which is does anyone have any experience coaching or lifting with benzodiazepines.

For more context, his doctor psyoped him at a young age into taking benzodiazepines, he is no longer having "anxiety", he is just beholden to benzodiazepine withdrawals. As I mentioned before, he 12 weeks into a 30 week taper schedule in order to safely get off of the benzodiazepines. His current age is 32.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    And what if his testosterone levels are right and he actually has a neuropsichiatric issue? Sorry, I needed to ask it.
    Then he doesn't take valium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then he doesn't take valium.
    Are you trying to say that depression at such a young age can be cured with TRT? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Are you trying to say that depression at such a young age can be cured with TRT? Just asking.
    What I'm actually trying to say is that his quack doctor should not have given him diazepam for chronic depression, and that he should be horsewhipped for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What I'm actually trying to say is that his quack doctor should not have given him diazepam for chronic depression, and that he should be horsewhipped for doing so.
    His doctor was captured by society and the Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex. At the time, the gentleman in question was just an inconvenience to this doctor and he got him out of the door without doing blood tests or anything to figure out what was actually wrong. Turns out months later the kid was correctly diagnosed with a potassium deficiency that was causing digestive issues which presented as "anxiety" like symptoms. Turns potassium didn't give as much commission as valium.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybanters View Post
    Turns potassium didn't give as much commission as valium.
    Still doesn't, if he's still on the diazepam instead of potassium...

Have the guy do cocaine for the lethargy, to go with the doctor’s groove.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Still doesn't, if he's still on the diazepam instead of potassium...
    I was leaving out other info, diazepam's patent ended in 1985 but they always prescribe the newest latest and greatest SSRI/SNRI/MAO inhibitor in tandem with the diazepam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast