starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength Loss

Default Strength Loss

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip, what the heck happens to all your strength when you get sick?
    I've had a good 6 months of uninteruppted training and finally hitting some PR's.
    Before being sick I was a solid 90k bw squatting 190k for a single, benching 147.5k for a single, Pressing 91 for some singles, rackpulling 225x5 and best DL was 220k for a single.
    I got a bad case of the flu, on a liqud diet for 8 days because I coud'nt eat, bed ridden for 3 days, just could'nt physically workout for 8 days. lost about 4-5k BW and now I'm starting back it feels like im back in square one. My first workout back I shit you not. SQ 120, BP 100, DL 140. I know its going to take at least 1 month to get back close to where I left off but where the heck did all my strength go within 8 days?!

The best way to think about it is that you used it to fight off the disease. Now you'll build it back. Happens to everybody.

This is why "just barely strong enough" is a mistake, like "leaving just enough time" or "saving just enough money" or "having just enough ammo"...

It's probably not going to take you a month. It's a transient effect of the sickness that'll go away as you eat and recover. If you ran a mile after running a marathon, and discovered it took you 20 minutes, would you assume you now had a 20 minute mile time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The best way to think about it is that you used it to fight off the disease. Now you'll build it back. Happens to everybody.
    Thx Rip, that's an encouraging way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    It's probably not going to take you a month. It's a transient effect of the sickness that'll go away as you eat and recover. If you ran a mile after running a marathon, and discovered it took you 20 minutes, would you assume you now had a 20 minute mile time?
    In my experience...It takes a while to build up the work capacity again..

I mean, you never tried to build up work capacity after you could squat 190lg. Three days isn't enough to ruin the organism you built and if it did, it'll come back as fast as it went away.

After a heavy training session the body is taxed... would you be more susceptible to being sick? or does training not effect the immune system at all

The amount of training required to appreciably depress your immune system is almost certainly more than the amount of training needed to produce a strength increase. Fighting off standard pathogens is both a higher priority and a less demanding task than adapting to training: if you can't stay healthy, you probably can't recover.

I find that minor illnesses don't really affect my strength, provided I eat well. Two weeks ago I had a nasty throat infection: hacking up phlegm, fever, etc. It was the strongest week of training I've had in a long time. It's gotten to the point that I'm considering the possibility that the cold medicine might have made me stronger.

No evidence for this, but I would say (a) maybe marginally more liable compared to my baseline (but I've never noticed it) but (b) less susceptible than someone who doesn't train at all.

I've more had random bugs/colds affect my training, rather than training cause me to get random bugs. YMMV etc.

starting strength coach development program
    I get shingles about every 4 or 5 years. Don't ask why....I've been dealing with it since 9 or 10 yrs old. It is some painful shit, but I have dealt with it so many times that I just force myself to work through it. In 2023 it got into one of my occular nerves and almost blinded my ass in one eye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast