starting strength gym

Thread: Heavy sandbag training after NLP

Default Heavy sandbag training after NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone have experience with heavy sandbag training (since they are loadable) after depleted all NLP (which is not my case) in a way that not compromise strenght training at all?
    They worth it? Or its just a waste of time and sweat?

How old are you and what are your numbers?

15-20 minutes of intensive sandbag shouldn´t disturbe your strenght process. It is also a good excercise (if you know how to boxing, Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    How old are you and what are your numbers?

15-20 minutes of intensive sandbag shouldn´t disturbe your strenght process. It is also a good excercise (if you know how to boxing, Lol)
    Oh man sorry
    The sandbag i was saying is a heavy sandbag full of sand for lifting and toss
    I have no plans to do any other stressfull exercise (with excession the prowler of course) untill i really finish my NLP.
    Sandbag lifting is something i really like, but i have no reason to do if there's no beneficts or if messing with the strength training. Thats why i asking.

32 years old
    Height: 1,83
    Weight: 125kg
    Squat 3x5 - 190kg
    Press 3x5 - 85kg
    Bench 3x5 - 116kg
    Deadlift 1x5 - 185kg (working on my form)

During Covid I had no weights or access to weights. I bought a military duffle bag and would fill it up with buckets of sand progressively. I quickly got to 215lbs which is what I competed at in grappling, and I would do all sorts of carries: bear hug carries, over the shoulder carries, picking the bag up off the ground, etc. I even got to the point of doing Turkish getups with the thing. Once covid ended and I went back to Bjj class I was noticeably weaker than before. Your body will adapt to it very quickly so I don’t think you will have a problem, but honestly I was really unimpressed with the results of the training.

There's no way you can load a sandbag heavy enough, and in a way that you can lift it to drive any appreciable strength adaptation. This is regardless of what the functional movement people think regarding loading multiple planes of motion. The limiting factor with a sandbag very quickly becomes being able to interact with it.

A 200 lb sandbag is heavy and hard to deal with, but it's little more than a conditioning tool - an ineffective one at that - because you only adapt up to the point at which the bag produces stress. As Johnsonville and I and many others have experienced. A 180 lb human being who is fighting back is a much harder conditioning problem than a sandbag that's 215, or 220, or maybe even 250 lbs.

So if you're strength training, a sandbag has no value other than playing construction laborer. If you're not strength training, it also has no value because you'll get more results in any measurable domain using a barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    During Covid I had no weights or access to weights. I bought a military duffle bag and would fill it up with buckets of sand progressively. I quickly got to 215lbs which is what I competed at in grappling, and I would do all sorts of carries: bear hug carries, over the shoulder carries, picking the bag up off the ground, etc. I even got to the point of doing Turkish getups with the thing. Once covid ended and I went back to Bjj class I was noticeably weaker than before. Your body will adapt to it very quickly so I don’t think you will have a problem, but honestly I was really unimpressed with the results of the training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    There's no way you can load a sandbag heavy enough, and in a way that you can lift it to drive any appreciable strength adaptation. This is regardless of what the functional movement people think regarding loading multiple planes of motion. The limiting factor with a sandbag very quickly becomes being able to interact with it.

A 200 lb sandbag is heavy and hard to deal with, but it's little more than a conditioning tool - an ineffective one at that - because you only adapt up to the point at which the bag produces stress. As Johnsonville and I and many others have experienced. A 180 lb human being who is fighting back is a much harder conditioning problem than a sandbag that's 215, or 220, or maybe even 250 lbs.

So if you're strength training, a sandbag has no value other than playing construction laborer. If you're not strength training, it also has no value because you'll get more results in any measurable domain using a barbell.
    Thank you very much guys for sharing experience and information!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano Alves View Post
    Deadlift 1x5 - 185kg (working on my form)
    I swear to God--

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post

If you want to destroy your hands and wrists so much that you will be unable to train for days, sure go get it.
    And I know, it sounds cool, you're outside, and the barbell gets boring. But it's a waste of precious energy without a discernable return on that investment.

Notice that no one here is denying we haven't f*'d around with sandbags in the backyard: we have, and we learned.

Go get it out of your system. Don't get injured. We'll be here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    If you want to destroy your hands and wrists so much that you will be unable to train for days, sure go get it.
    And I know, it sounds cool, you're outside, and the barbell gets boring. But it's a waste of precious energy without a discernable return on that investment.

Notice that no one here is denying we haven't f*'d around with sandbags in the backyard: we have, and we learned.

Go get it out of your system. Don't get injured. We'll be here.
    Are you saying you got hurt training with a sandbag? I find that hard to believe unless you were doing some crazy shit