starting strength gym

Thread: Unlearned movement patterns?

Default Unlearned movement patterns?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello all. I have decided recently to switch to low bar squatting. I have been doing high bar. I had the idea of not squatting for a few weeks at all in order to unlearn the high bar squat movement, so as to not have bad movement patterns in the low bar squat. Is this idea ridiculous or should I just go start low bar squatting right away. As a general idea, is unlearning old movement patterns something that needs to be considered when learning new ones. I.e. transitioning from high bar to low bar?.

Not performing a movement pattern does not result in "unlearning" the movement pattern. If you don't go swimming for 2 years, have you forgotten how to swim?

Is this idea ridiculous
    Yes. Oh my God yes. Never allow yourself to have a thought this dumb again. Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Levin View Post
    As a general idea, is unlearning old movement patterns something that needs to be considered when learning new ones. I.e. transitioning from high bar to low bar?.
    You learn the new one by doing it.

Pay special attention to the torso position, hip drive, and correct depth as these points will be noticeably different compared to your prior training. Working with a coach can help make the transition go more cleanly.