• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Week 2 - Monday, 7/20/09

Workout B
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 190 (Good)

Press 3x5 @ 100 (Easy-ish!)

Power Clean 5x3 @ 140 (Good.. Form is getting progressively better.)

Notes: Short term goal is to see 2 plates on the squat bar. I'm getting there.

Week 2 -Wednesday, 7/22/09

Workout A
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 195 (Form breaking down, need to focus)

Bench Press 3x5 @ 150 (Good)

Deadlift 1x5 @ 275 (10lb. jump this time. Bar moved slow as hell)

Notes: I need to eat more. I also need to focus on my squat form more. I drank the "milk" at the chow hall today (please pray for me and those around me). Got 8 hours of sleep last night. Trying to maximize rest time.

Got about 5,000 calories today. Thank you Burger King!

whats up Randy. I gotta say SS is everything it's cracked up to be. I did nothing but the strict program and saw great results. I was eating a ton a lot of my diet was fast food and milk (Just burgers and shakes at the fast food places no fries or anything terrible, relatively speaking). I definitely put on some fat but I also packed on a lot of muscle mostly on my legs but you could definitely see it in my upper body as well. I got up to 220 then switched to CF with pretty strict paleo and dropped 20lbs in 1 1/2 months lost some strength but definitely still had more than what I started with before SS. here are my stats just let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!

(5 rep maxes)
    Weight: 187 - 220

Squat: 135 - 250

Press: 75 - 110

Bench: 95 - 160

Clean: ? - 125

Dead: ? - 280

Week 2 - Friday, 7/24/09

Workout B
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 200 (Brutally slow and form faltering)

Press 3x5 @ 105 (Good)

Power Clean 5x3 @ 145 (Good)

Notes: Eating and resting. No Cindy tomorrow. Need full recovery.

Charlie, thanks for the information! I like seeing what other peoples' results were and what they did to achieve them so I can plan accordingly. I can't do milk because they don't have it in Afghanistan (deployed military), but have been eating plenty of other stuff! I net about 4.5k-5k calories per day. I have decided to cut out the 2x week metcons completely because I feel I need more recovery.

Thanks for following along. Any advice is appreciated, man.

Week 3 - Monday, 7/27/09

Workout A
    ______

Squat 3x5 @ 205 (Form breaking down, very slow bar speed)

Bench Press 3x5 @ 155 (Good.. Bar is getting slow)

Deadlift 1x5 @ 280 (Good.. Also very slow)

Chin Up 3xF @ bodyweight - 11,6,4

Notes: Not really anything else to say.. The weight is getting heavy but i'm still progressing. Had about 4k calories yesterday. Chin Ups are staying the same as I get heavier, which means I am getting stronger.

So today I realized that I have a major "butt wink" issue on my squats. I am working to correct it.

..Been working on it for a couple of hours and I seem to have fixed the majority of the problem. After reading some of Coach Rippetoe's words on the issue I am pretty convinced that all will be fine as long as I focus on keeping the whole torso "tight". Maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much.

In other news my schedule has recently opened up a bit to allow me to go to the gym twice a day. I think I will use my second gym session for some occasional sprint work or something.

Today's nutrition: 4,373 calories

50% fat
    30% protein
    20% carb

Last weigh-in was 183lbs. Hell yeah.

Week 3 - Wednesday, 7/29/09

Workout B
    ______

Squat 5,4, @210 then dropped weight. See notes.

Press 3x5 @ 110 (Good)

Power Clean 5x3 @ 145 (Good. Forgot to go to 150lb. until the last 2 sets. Oops)

Notes: My squat form really sucks. I felt a tearing sensation in my left lower abdomen on the way up on the second set. I have no idea what it was but I am worried I could have a hernia or something. After I only got 4 reps on the second set, I dropped the weight to 185lb. and did 2 sets. I think 210 is just too heavy for me right now. Looking in to a reset if this happens on my next workout. Until then, i'm going to eat eat eat.

I will repeat this weight for squats next time around. I think I might need some coaching on the lift anyways. I will think about bringing a camera with me next time.

Also, I think my squat issues might be caused partially by very tight hamstrings. I am working on flexibility.

Later on: Okay, so I have been stretching the hamstrings and just one session of it has seemed to improve my situation already. Also the active shoving out of the knees really helps. I will be in the gym on my next workout day (and possibly tomorrow) to work on my form.

Things I need to remember:

-Actively shove knees out
    -Keep knees over toes
    -Maintain lumbar arch
    -Drive up with ass

I had the same problem with the butt wink thing. I believe it comes from mainly from relaxing the hamstrings. What helped me was dropping down slower then I was used to, focusing on keeping the chest up, having someone watch me to let me know the bar was over midfoot (lean forward or backward more), and not going too far below parrallel.

I think it helps bigtime to either have someone who knows proper low bar squat form watch you or just taking videos of your sets to see what your doing wrong and correct it yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, man. I'm really working to correct it and hopefully i'll be putting up good numbers again soon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast