starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babu's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Thanks for the motivation Sami. Cock.

Should've gone 2 days ago, but legs were killing me right up till yesterday. Looks like it's the eating I need to get back into, as well as the lifting. I'll get the gallons going again starting next week, spent this week building up. 7000 kcal is a bitch, huh? Well, here's todays lift with standard SS sets and reps...

Squat: 65.0 kg
    Press: 37.5 kg
    Clean: 40.0 kg

Thought I could handle a 5 kilo jump for the squats and it was alright. I have a really weird sensation in my right quads which hasn't gone away since I was in the gym though...I'm gonna go for 2.5 kg jumps now, don't want to get stuck later on. The press wasn't actually too difficult though, I could've definitely done 40 but I wasn't really sure what to go for (having not done it for a while) and I didn't really have time to test and see where I was at. The power clean was very easy and that'll definitely require a 5 kg jump for next time. Time for a midnight 1200 kcal pizza...

Nice.

I'm thinking for my first session I might just go for all 1RMs to see where I'm after the lay off. Then seeing how long it takes to get past those numbers.

So the Reynolds Gym is supposed to be shit (no squat rack) and the idea of going to Ethos with all the freshers is not exactly my idea of fun; do you want to check out St Mary's? I can't remember now if they had a cage or not?

That's probably the best way to go about it. I kinda wish I did. And I thought we were going for St. Mary's? There's nowhere else that's decent really. They did have a cage. It'll be nice to not use a shitty slanted squat rack.

Today's lifts:

Squat: 67.5 kg
    Bench: 52.5 kg
    Deadlift: 95.0 kg

Everything felt heavy but good. Need to keep on the eating but doing well. Need to start thinking about mountain climbing prep though, strength training isn't the best thing to do for it...anyone reading this right now have much experience of climbing mountains? (I'll be walking up it, as opposed to actually scaling it.) If so, what would you recommend in prep?

Who has a slanted rack; your current gym? Yeah, Mary's will probably be better but I think Ethos is more convenient to get to. I'll see though. It's only that my train passes HSK station on the way to Hammersmith. It might pass Paddington though; I have to check, can't remember. It'd be nice to train with the Rugby guys, and watch them all do partial squats. :/

I know a pretty decent Boulderer (look it up). Proper climbing and shit requires a lot of upper body strength, hellacious grip, and a relatively light bodyweight. Doing loads of heavy squats isn't such a great idea because all the extra leg mass is almost dead weight with climbing. Not good.

BUT, you're not actually climbing so just carry on and get big and strong. It won't slow you down. Then a month or so out, throw in some conditioning.

Yeah the current gym, similar to your basement gym shit. Ethos is far more convenient to get to, Paddington is just a bitch from anywhere. If you're going by HSK it should be OK for you. And yeah, it'll be fun watching them do weird shit on that stupid ball. Can't wait!

Yeah, as you said, this isn't proper climbing so I don't need to worry about that shit (how the fuck do they get so strong while staying light? I want the strength but not the mass), but just doing Starting Strength won't help. Both these mountains are above 6,000 m and will need serious prep. Need to look into what I do.

On the topic of Starting Strength, I woke up this morning and I wasn't aching whatsoever, despite being certain that I didn't have anywhere near as many calories as I needed during the day. Weird.

Actually, I just looked and I have to go by Mary's on my train; no matter if I go to HSK or CX. In fact, if I'm going to CX, I don't go by HSK at all. WIN! (for me)

What's your post code now?

Prick. My location's good for lectures though; after all, uni's for learning or some shit like that, right?

Today's lifts:

Squat: 70.0 kg
    Press: 40.0 kg
    Clean: 45.0 kg

Squats felt good. A guy at the gym told me my back was rounding a little at the bottom though; he insisted that if I looked in the mirror rather than at the floor in front of me, it wouldn't happen. I'm tempted not to listen to him, having seen him "squat", but I'll be mindful. Sami, help me out with that please! Press felt really fucking heavy, which was weird as 37.5 felt pretty easy. Let's hope it's alright next time. Clean felt just as easy as before. Tempted to make another 5 kg jump but I know I'll find myself fucked later on if I do.

Are you actually going to make the trek to Mary's from CX?

Eat moar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    Prick. My location's good for lectures though; after all, uni's for learning or some shit like that, right?
    Only when bribed.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast