Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running Lifter's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    1 mile easy warmup
    4 mile tempo: 31:43, beating last week's time in 33sec
    1 mile easy cooldown

Didn't know if I would be recovered today because of Monday's run, but I rested alot and at a fair amount yesterday. Interesting that by the end of the run Monday, I weighed 205lb. Today before the tempo I was back up to 210lb.

Another interesting note about the tempo today is how much my leg muscles, mainly the quads, glutes and hams, felt like they were on fire... but I actually felt stronger compared to last fall when I ran the same course faster. Back then it was my lungs, chest muscles, diaphragm that were on fire. I also had to quit running because of overruse injury which got me into lifting in the first place.

Note on lifting injuries: Right shoulder feeling better, pain almost all gone when pressing without bar. Left hip (TFL) also getting better. Runs make it a bit sore, but it's not as severe a feeling as after a day of squats. Right PF still there but okay. While I feel a stretch at the beginning of the runs, it goes away. I now beleive that the PF is due to the "knees too far forward" issue, just like the TFL, in my squat and deadlift. I'm hoping a far wider "knees out" stance for the squat and switching to a sumo deadlift will remedy those next week.

I think I need more warmup for the lifts, too.
    Last edited by Jeff Horner; 12-09-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

1 mile easy
    6 200m repeats at 5m/m pace with 3 minutes rest between

Crappy recovery from Wednesday. Hopefully feel better starting Monday. Back to lifting.

Default Date for 12/9/2009 12:40 PM

Date: 12/9/2009 12:40 PM
    Type: Tempo
    Course: Nebraska 4 miler
    Distance: 4 miles (plus a mile warmup and a mile cooldown)
    Duration: 31:43.31
    Pace: 7:56 / mile
    Notes: Didn't know if I would be recovered today because of Monday's run, but I rested alot and at a fair amount yesterday. Interesting that by the end of the run Monday, I weighed 205lb. Today before the tempo I was back up to 210lb.

Another interesting note about the tempo today is how much my leg muscles, mainly the quads, glutes and hams, felt like they were on fire... but I actually felt stronger compared to last fall when I ran the same course faster. Back then it was my lungs, chest muscles, diaphragm that were on fire. I also had to quit running because of overruse injury which got me into lifting in the first place.
    Last edited by Jeff Horner; 12-14-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: adding warmup/cooldown miles

Default Date for 12/11/2009 12:30 PM

Date: 12/11/2009 12:30 PM
    Type: Interval
    Course: treadmill
    Distance: 1200 meters
    Duration: 3:45
    Pace: 5:02 / mile
    Notes: On the treadmill at 0 incline. Protocol, start the treadmill and increase speed to 12mph. Stop after completing a distance of .25miles. So, not technically 200m repeats, just a bit longer.

Default Reset

3 miles easy - 26:56

Squats 180lb - used a much wider stance with toes pointed out to about 45deg. Decided to reset instead of try 215lb. I had pulled my obturator externus before, so need some time to strengthen.

Press 85lb - felt strong. No complaints from right shoulder.

Pull ups - 10 10 9, actually did 10 on last set but I accidentally toed the wall, so I'm not counting it.

Power Cleans 160lb 5 sets 3 reps each

During balance exercises I fell backwards and stiff armed my landing with the right arm. Elbow is jacked! I'm not scheduled to lift again until Thursday, so I'll wait until then to assess the damage.

3 miles easy
    Squats 190lb

Right elbow fracture of the radial head. Running doesn't hurt, squatting doesn't hurt, will see if deadlifting with light weight tomorrow hurts. No go on the presses until at least 6 weeks. Fail!

2.2 miles warmup/cooldown
    4 mile tempo in 31:49

No go on the deadlift.

Sunday Dec 20

Started elbow rehab with 3 sets 25 reps overhead press with 12lb bar

starting strength coach development program
    2.2 miles warmup cooldown
    4 mile tempo in 31:04
    Press 40lb for 15 reps, 30lb for 15 reps, 20lb for 15 reps

Elbow feels fine, can almost lock out at the top of the press with full extension. Rack position hurts a bit. Surprisingly it's no the triceps, but the shoulders that burn causing me to miss the 25 rep mark.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast