starting strength gym
Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: boot29342342's log

Default boot29342342's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am slow, but eventually I get there. A bit of self-reflection has led me to conclude that I am "underrecovering". It only took two weeks of being unable to get a full 8 hours of sleep for me to realize that I cannot continue on a novice-like training load as I have been.

I am disappointed that I have to switch to periodization at my current weights, but I would rather move slowly than crash. I have not yet hit a wall on all of my lifts, but I regressed on the presses a couple of weeks ago, and frankly my inability to sleep is worrying me more than my inability to do a bodyweight squat at the moment.

So here goes my almost-intermediate training log.

Profile: 37 years old, female, fairly athletic but prone to injuries (esp. tendons and ligaments)
    Dimensions: 5'9", 150 lb. Body fat in the low 20s, broad shoulders and proportionate build not unlike that of a shorter person.
    Food: 2400 kcal on average, 140-200 g of protein daily, various sources, though animals will be bred and slaughtered every day. 200-240 g of carbohydrates, 80-120 g of fat.

Current Lifts, in 3 sets of 5 unless otherwise noted:
    DL: 180 lb (1x5)
    SQ: 135 lb (best was 150, had to back off to fix knee slide & hip tendinitis)
    BP: 110 lb
    CL: 85 lb (5x3, managed 90 lb the other day but couldn't do it across sets)
    PR: 72.5 lb
    Chin-ups: 5x5 at bodyweight

The plan: I have to introduce a light day and a medium intensity day, not unlike that in the Texas Method. I am also not going to deadlift every other workout anymore, with a CL-back extensions/chins-DL alternations. The first light day will be tomorrow, with squats at 80% of my current working weight, some light bench presses, and BE/chins.

Self-reflection is always a bit tough, but I trust this will be a helpful change for you! I'll be following your progress.

Thanks, scteacher!

Log: I actually slept pretty well last night (7.5 hrs) compared to the night before (4 hrs of sleep plus another 4 staring into the darkness and listening to the dog snoring). Ate 2450 kcal yesterday, with 145 g of protein.
    Lifts are given as weight x reps x sets

Squats: 45x10x1, 65x5x1, 70x5x1, 80x5x1, 110x5x2. Easy peasy of course

Bench: 45x5x2, 60x5x1, 70x5x1, 90x5x2. 90 is about 80% of Monday's work set, 135 lb

Back extensions: (bw+45)x10x3

Chins: bwx5x3, bwx3x1, bwx4x1. I thought I would be able to complete all five sets at five reps, but no--ran out of juice towards the end. Methinks it's a tired-even-after-light-day and chins-in-the-morning thing. I can do five sets of five at night without any warming up, no problem.

A little scared of intensity day on Sat.

Thought I slept well until I turned the lights on and saw that it was 5:15 a.m. (I'd been awake for about 45 minutes before that.) That made for a total of about 6 hrs of sleep last night. On Wednesday, I woke up with 4 hours of sleep. This has been going on for weeks now, and the trend is pretty clear. I sleep like shit on nights after lifting.

Intensity day.
    Previous day's intake: 2400 kcal, 156 g protein
    Sleep: about 6.5 hours

Squats: 45x5x2, 100x5, 115x3, 125x2, 140x1, 155x5 <-- not only is this a PR, but it's a major breakthrough as it is my first set above body weight. Fucking finally. It didn't feel that heavy, either. Not entirely surprising as I've always been a hare, not a tortoise. I have no endurance, and sets across exhaust me even with longer breaks.

Press: 45x5x2, 60x3, 70x2, 80x5. <-- another PR. My previous best was 75 lb on this one, although I kept trying to do it in sets across. It also did not feel that heavy.

DL: 135x5, 155x3, 180x5. The only disappointment of today. I screwed up the count -- meant to load 185 onto the bar, which would have been a PR. Oh well. I'll try again next week. Need I mention that this, too, felt light?

Conclusion: My first day on TM was a success.

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Intensity day.
    Previous day's intake: 2400 kcal, 156 g protein
    Sleep: about 6.5 hours

Squats: 45x5x2, 100x5, 115x3, 125x2, 140x1, 155x5 <-- not only is this a PR, but it's a major breakthrough as it is my first set above body weight. Fucking finally. It didn't feel that heavy, either. Not entirely surprising as I've always been a hare, not a tortoise. I have no endurance, and sets across exhaust me even with longer breaks.

Press: 45x5x2, 60x3, 70x2, 80x5. <-- another PR. My previous best was 75 lb on this one, although I kept trying to do it in sets across. It also did not feel that heavy.

DL: 135x5, 155x3, 180x5. The only disappointment of today. I screwed up the count -- meant to load 185 onto the bar, which would have been a PR. Oh well. I'll try again next week. Need I mention that this, too, felt light?

Conclusion: My first day on TM was a success.
    Grats on the PR's! :-)

I am the same way, I hate volume work. I have zero endurance and get winded looking at stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Grats on the PR's! :-)

I am the same way, I hate volume work. I have zero endurance and get winded looking at stairs.
    Thanks! I'm not too bad at climbing stairs, and I can walk fast for hours, but trying to run longer than 30 min is torture for me. I've always been a sprinter, which I suppose should come in handy in strength training.

Re: sleep and training, I find that if I train in the evening it wrecks my sleep. Conversely, training in the AM helps it a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ5.0 View Post
    Re: sleep and training, I find that if I train in the evening it wrecks my sleep. Conversely, training in the AM helps it a ton.
    I never really train in the evening. First, the gyms in NYC get packed in the afternoons and evenings. Second, I am very much a morning person and have the most energy first thing in the morning. I cannot even do any serious thinking after about 5 pm. Anything you see me post after 5 pm on here is from Stupid Tobo, not Morning Smart Tobo.

starting strength coach development program
    I have some of the same sleep problems you mentioned on nights during the week when I go get bounced around in jujitsu for 2+ hours. I'm done by 8:30 and while my normal bedtime is 9:00, I am often up to 10:30 or 11:00 and dragging the next day. Even the less sleep I do get is restless and terrible. Unfortunately, unlike gym time which is discretionary, the jujitsu sessions are when they are.

Until the last several months I've always lifted at O-dark 30 because it helps me wake up for the day and to avoid the gym congestion problems you mentioned. But since I started competing this April, I discovered that I need to acclimate to lifting later in the day. I didn't get in my last deadlift until 9:30 at my first meet and like I said, that's past this geezer's bedtime. So I've been lifting around 4:30 after work. The added crowd in the gym sucks, but it's still early enough that I metabolize off the endorphins in time to get a good night's sleep. Most times. Of course some Albertson's Cheap-Ass Wodka has produced some salutary soporific effects when I still have the jumps as the evening wears on.

Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast