starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evan's Almost SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Finally got around to orderinga pair of 1 1/4 lb oly plates today. Hopefully they'll come before my OHP stalls.

I got all my reps in today, but I'm a bit worried about my squat form. I was leaning forward coming up out of the hole, and my knees were buckling inward. I just couldn't keep it together at that weight. I am definitely going below parallel though. I am not sure whether I should press on, figuring that I will keep from developing bad habits by maintaining form while warming up, if I should stay at this weight and try again for better form next time, or reset to a lower weight and hopefully when I get back to this weight my form will have improved.

Squat: 215 lbs 3x5, but like I said form was crap.

Bench: 155 lbs 3x5, I will be using a spotter next time I do bench. this was nerve wracking.

Chins: 4-4-3-3-2 at minus 44 lbs. I'm really hoping the added volume will help me get off the stupid gravitron, and start adding weight rather than subracting it. last time I did 4-3-3 though, so I suppose that is a minor improvement.

Any advice on what to do about my squat would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays

Most tiring session I've ever had.

Squat-220LBS 3 sets of 5. form felt better up until the last set, where my knees buckled a ton. I hope I'm going deep enough. No way to record while in the desert though.

OHP-95LBS 3 sets of 5.

DEADS-240LBS 1 set of 5.

I usually feel awesome after lifting, but today I went in feeling awesome, came out drained. I'm hoping this was just an off day. I may end up switching to novice programming early if this happens a lot.

god, I hope the 1.25 LB plates come in before my next session.

OK, The gym was awesome today. I think my crap time last time had to do with me quitting smoking 3 days before. ugh. I'm still coughing grossness up and feeling off, but much better, and lifting today did wonders. I did fail on squats though. It's my first failure in the 7 or 8 weeks I've been on the program though. I think it's odd that squats were the first lift I failed on, but I did go very conservatively on everything else.

Squats: 225 5-4-3: On my second set, I just couldnt get up. I went down, and didn't have the umph to make it back up. I just set it on the safety rails, took off the weight, and set back up for my last set. Admittedly, I didn't even try a 4th rep on my last set. I'll get it friday though.

Bench: 160 3x5: Felt great. I keep wishing I could micro load, and then finding out I didn't need to.

Pull ups: -20kg 5-4-4-2: I could have gotten more on that last set if I had rested a bit longer, but I only needed the 2 to get to 15, so I kinda rushed it. I think next time I'll go for 20 total. I really need to get off the damn gravitron. I should be adding weight, not subtracting it.

Overall, I thought it went pretty well. I'm just gonna eat a ton between now and my next workout and slog through those squats so I can keep going.

and keep hoping for my small plates to arrive.

starting strength coach development program
    Had a crazy couple weeks that kept me out of the gym. I didn't get back at it until thursday, and lifted again today.

Thursday:

Squat 185: 5-5-5 I tried 200 but couldn't do it with even halfway decent form.
    OHP 85: 5-5-5 too tough.
    Deadlift: 205 This wasn't difficult at all.

I was not happy about having to drop all my weights so much. That's what I get for missing 2 weeks though.

Today:

Squats 190:5-5-5 this felt much easier than the 185 did 2 days ago.
    Bench 145:5-5-5 not too bad.
    Lat pull down: 93 lbs 5-5-5 I know it's blasphemy, but I'm using it anyways. I can actually pull the bar all the way to touch my chest, and wont be switching to pull ups until I can do that with nearly my body weight. The gravitron was frustrating the crap out of me.

I finally got the message my 1.25 lb plates shipped. again. They were shipped ups to usps because I'm at an APO address. anyways, shouldn't be much more than a week. maybe less.

I'm bummin right now about how much strength I lost in only 2 weeks, but I should be getting it back pretty quick I would hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12