starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 46 days to bootcamp

Default 46 days to bootcamp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I guess I should start with a little backstory? I decided to join the United States Marine Corps. and officially enlisted August 3, 2009. The corps is a little backed up so I don't leave for recruit training until February 8, 46 days from now. I'm well within fitness standards (20+ pullups, around 90 situps in 2:00, and a decent run time) so I decided it's time to gain some mass and brute strength by powerlifting. I do a metcon, of sorts, every saturday with my recruiter so that should maintain my "physical fitness" while I focus on strength during the week.
    Many have told me not to worry about strength training and focus solely on bodyweight exercises and running since thats what I'll be doing during bootcamp. But you're going to tell me strength won't play a part in lugging around two 30-40 lb ammo cans during the crucible and CFT?
    I decided to start a log for a couple reasons. Firstly, it should add extra motivation to keep adding weight to the bar. And any thoughts or comments on either my program or what to expect during bootcamp are greatly appreciated.

Now for the starting stats:
    BW: 155 lbs. (I know, I need to pack on some major weight)
    Height: 6'0"
    I have no clue what any of my 1RM's are, as I've never done a real powerlifting program and haven't maxed out once in years of fooling around in the weight room. So we'll have to find out together.

I just started a 5x5 (thoughts/ comments?). My basic layout will roughly follow this schedule:
    Monday: Squats plus assistance work
    Tuesday: Bench plus assistance work
    Thursday: Deadlifts plus assistance work
    Saturday: Conditioning focused workout with my recruiter.
    I'll be running in between lifting days since that's the aspect of bootcamp I need the most improvement upon.

Hope this wasn't too long and didn't lose everyone halfway through, I'll be posting my workouts every couple of days

I would add an overhead press and maybe cleans. Overhead presses saved my shoulders from injury and failure when I had to endure a similar style training. Carrying logs overhead for extended periods of time will wear you down quickly...

Strength is extremely important, but I would certainly keep up with bodyweight exercises. We had a guy drop out during the first week who could bench well over 400 lbs, but could only do a handful of pushups...

Of course, if you pass the PT test, the rest is mental...

Thanks for the input man. I do overhead/military presses with my bench workout. Part of the CFT is overhead ammo can lifts so shoulder strength plays a big part in that score.

My saturday workout with my recruiter uses bodyweight so I'm not nervous about that.
    2 1/2 mile run, 3/8 mile of lunges
    4 rounds of max pullups, 15-20 lat pulldowns, 30 pushups, 15-20 bicep curls. Done CF style so only very short breaks if any.
    Then some ab work.

My bench workout also includes weighted tricep dips

Hey man, I went to Marine Corps OCS (officer candidates school) this past summer and got a pretty good taste of the Marine Corps' physical aspect. I know boot camp doesn't focus as much on the physical aspect(thats what the prior enlisted guys said), but I wouldn't do too much bulking before you head out. It will be much more beneficial, especially 45 days out, to run your A$$ off. Having the cardio will be much more important. For the CFT, just do a lot of running in boots, and run with weight. I'm telling you, the guys that struggled physically at OCS were the big guys that could bench the house. Focus on cardio strength and muscular endurance, not max strength.

just my 2 cents

Starting a new program the week of xmas probably wasn't the smartest move. Anyway, here are my lifts.

BW:155

12/22
    Squats: 205x5x5
    Front squats: 135x3x5
    Glute raises: 3x15
    Calve raises: (Standing on a step with a weighted belt with 50 lbs.) 15, 15, 13, 14 reps.
    Took about 1:10 not including stretching

12/26
    Bench:165x5x5
    DB bench: 45'sx10, 50'sx9
    Mil. press: 115x5, 105x5, 105x5
    Tricep dips: 45x9, 45x8

Honestly, I'd be shocked if I gained 10 lbs before I ship out. I've always stayed lean despite eating like a bear preparing for hibernation.

I was running 5-6 times a week, but I think that was over training for me. I've been constantly battling shin splints so I think I might need to slow down on the running. I can run 3 miles fine as far as cardio goes, but my shins feel like someone took a belt sander to them. I've tried taking time off from running and all the stretches, but they keep coming back whenever I up the mileage.

I'm just trying to maintain my conditioning while I gain weight, then maintain the weight in bootcamp.

Hate to get off topic again, but I was getting shin splints bad a few years ago while training for the PFT. If you limit your running to 3 times a week, and never run back to back days, you can drop your time by quite a bit. Pushing yourself hard, and thats the key, you can get down to 18 or 19 minutes for 3 miles in a relatively short time.

Not at all man, any info regarding bootcamp/ USMC life is appreciated. I was just going to go easy on the running until my shins heal up a bit then slowly add more running days back to the schedule.

Especially this close to shipping out, I think I'd rather have a slower run time than jacked up shins when I get on those yellow footsteps.

I went through Parris Island in 1995. I went in at 165 lbs and came out at 145 lbs. I saw guys who came in heavy end up with flaps of skin hanging off of them by the end of bootcamp. It will be very hard to maintain your weight, as you can only eat so much in the little time they give you. The PT is focused on bodyweight movements. I went in able to max out the pullups and situps and had a sub 20 minute run time. Therefore the PT was never an issue for me. However, the forced marches ("humps") with a loaded pack were brutal. This is where strength will help you. Also, if you can get used to marching in combat boots, that would be helpful to you, as blisters were the biggest problem I faced.

I've heard stories of people gaining weight as well as losing weight. Obviously I'm pretty lean at 155, but it's all muscle, I'm not just skinnyfat. Not to toot my own horn, but if I lose any weight it'll be muscle weight lost.
    I'm not worried about the PT at all, I know it'll be tough but nothing I feel unprepared for. From what I've seen and read, strength would be a big help during the crucible. Carrying ammo cans for long distances, lifting yourself and others over obstacles, not to mention carrying the "casualties", and it all ends with a final hump. I can't help but think strength would be just as important as conditioning, maybe not throughout bootcamp, but certainly for the last 54 hours.

starting strength coach development program
    This is second-hand info Ive gleaned from conversations with Marines, but Ive heard from multiple people that once in theater strength pays huge dividends. Even boot camp has seen a fairly dramatic evolution over the last 15 years from run run run you into the ground to a focus on more functional fitness.

To me it sounds like you're on the right track training strength since youre already acing the PFT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast