starting strength gym

Thread: 16 Week Transformation

Default 16 Week Transformation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, this my first post. I've been lifting for a couple of years but primarily split routine bodybuilding routines. When I follow my lifting diet perfectly (about 4000 calories/day) I can gain pretty steadily. I am 5' 9", 160 llbs, and 22 years old. My junior year of high school I weighed 127, that was about 5 years ago. So I havn't gained too much since then, but I was wrestling and not trying to gain weight. Now, I want to get both stronger and heavier.

I will be following Rippetoe's program, but I will do it as a 5x5, as I feel I can handle the extra volume. I know it's dicouraged but I'm going to throw in some extra bicep curls and tricep extensions with the workouts. Started last Wednesday doing Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Pendlay Rows, and Bicep curls. Numbers were:

squat:205
    dead:265
    press:85
    Row:145
    didnt work it Wednesday but bench is about 175x5
    Curl:40 llb dumbells

All 5x5.

Along with the lifting I will be following the GOMAD diet and eating a few small meals throughout the day.

Comments encouraged, and I will be updating the Log continuously through the program. I am going to do 8 weeks at least on the GOMAD, but 16 weeks on the Rippetoe. I think this forum is awesome and will definetly keep my motivation up. The goal at the end of the 16 weeks:

Body Weight: 180
    squat: 350
    dead: 335
    press: 145
    bench: 245

Next workout is tomorrow, Christmas messed up the schedule, but I will hit it Mon, Wed, Fri this week as well. Tomorrow I will post the bench numbers along with the other lifts.
    Last edited by Will1987; 12-25-2009 at 11:31 PM.

I will be following Rippetoe's program, but I will do it as a 5x5, as I feel I can handle the extra volume.
    I'm pretty sure that means you won't be following the program.

Along with the lifting I will be following the GOMAD diet and eating a few small meals throughout the day.
    You should probably be doing GOMAD and eating a few large meals throughout the day.

I am going to do 8 weeks at least on the GOMAD, but 16 weeks on the Rippetoe.
    Doesn't sound like it.

Why do you want or expect your squat to be higher than your deadlift? Spend a few bucks and buy SS, and then scrap your stupid plans and following the real program.

Everyone get down and do the Rippetoe! Wooo! Seriously though, I would suggest buying and reading Starting Strength. It discusses the finer points of the big lifts and programming. Also, why only 16 weeks?

"My program is 3x/week barbell training until the strength gains produced by linear progression are exhausted. That's it, the whole program. Adding a bunch of other stuff in, or even adding a little other stuff in makes it NOT MY PROGRAM, because it fundamentally alters your response to the stress. Do what you want, of course, but it won't be my program if you do it your way."
    -Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Will1987 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, this my first post. I've been lifting for a couple of years but primarily split routine bodybuilding routines. When I follow my lifting diet perfectly (about 4000 calories/day) I can gain pretty steadily. I am 5' 9", 160 llbs, and 22 years old. My junior year of high school I weighed 127, that was about 5 years ago. So I havn't gained too much since then, but I was wrestling and not trying to gain weight. Now, I want to get both stronger and heavier.

I will be following Rippetoe's program, but I will do it as a 5x5, as I feel I can handle the extra volume. I know it's dicouraged but I'm going to throw in some extra bicep curls and tricep extensions with the workouts. Started last Wednesday doing Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Pendlay Rows, and Bicep curls. Numbers were:

squat:205
    dead:265
    press:85
    Row:145
    didnt work it Wednesday but bench is about 175x5
    Curl:40 llb dumbells

All 5x5.

Comments encouraged, and I will be updating the Log continuously through the program. I am going to do 8 weeks at least on the GOMAD, but 16 weeks on the Rippetoe. I think this forum is awesome and will definetly keep my motivation up. The goal at the end of the 16 weeks:

Body Weight: 180
    squat: 350
    dead: 335
    press: 145
    bench: 245

Next workout is tomorrow, Christmas messed up the schedule, but I will hit it Mon, Wed, Fri this week as well. Tomorrow I will post the bench numbers along with the other lifts.
    Bro, it's not GOMAD unless you add 500Ml of olive oil to it.

If you don't add the oil, it's not Rippetostilskin

If you like 5x5 and extra tricep/bicep emphasis why not do a different programme?

Stronglifts has chins & dips which work biceps & triceps heavily.

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Inverted Rows/powerclean 3xF
    Dips 3xF
    Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF
    Prone Bridges 3x30sec
    Or you could do bill starrs 5x5 which I believe contains tricep extensions & bicep curls.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the replies, some more constructive than others...

Obviously this program is not exactly the Rippetoe program designed by Mark Rippetoe so I am not going to bash the Starting Strength book if it doesn't work (sounds like that's what everyone's whining about)

Most programs are tweaked slightly to suite the person who follows it so that is what I am working on. However, I do want to use the progressive strength program that uses the 3 big lifts of Bench, Squat, and Deadlift.

16 weeks is my timeline for when I expect to reach my first set of goals, but not a stopping point. Also for whoever commented on my goal deadlift, yeah that is pretty low I was doing 275 tonight and felt good. I expect more on deadlift after 16 weeks and I know that should be higher than the squat.

Tonights lifts:

squat: 215
    Dead: 275
    Bench: 175

Again, I like reading the comments, even if they are useless to my progress.