starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry on Wayward Son

Default Carry on Wayward Son

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings y'alls,

Decided to post a log. Spur-of-the-moment decision. Hopefully I keep up with it.

A year ago I was squatting 315, deadlifting close to 400 and benching a tad over 200. Press was in the 135 range (I've had terrible times with this lift). Power clean was approaching 200. My bodyweight was hovering at 195 or so, but I never did break the 200 pound man barrier.

A personal tragedy led to a halt in training & eating. Subsequently I lost 35 pounds and became weak and somewhat sickly. After pulling my life back together, I finally began training again about two months ago.

In that time, I've shot back up to 195 lbs bodyweight. My lifts aren't quite where they need to be, but they're getting there. Diet is the usual "see-food" variety and GOMAD, averaging 5,000 cals a day.

I'm 29, a former Marine sergeant, and have a few aches and pains in the knees and ankles from those military days

Tonight's numbers:

Squat 260x3x5
    Bench 170x3x5
    Dead 285x1x5

Will post videos when I remember how to hook up the camera to the computer again.

Happy liftin',
    -sergeant-
    Last edited by sergeant_81; 03-03-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Correct the deadlift from 286 to 285

Welcome. It looks like you have some good numbers already for just getting back into it.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, good luck with your training and log, it's a vaulable tool.

What a terrible fucking session tonight. Work issues led to my not eating as much as usual today - although I did get my GOMAD in - and right from the start I knew I was in trouble.

The squats were ok, but I felt tired and 'out-of-the-groove.' Got 'em done, but really had to grind out that last set.

Presses were a debacle. I have a history of poor performance on this movement. First set I barely managed 4 reps, and the form was so ugly in the attempt at number 5 I cricked my neck pretty damn badly. I sat and waited a moment for the initial "fuck that hurts" to go away, then put on a belt, cinched 'er tight, and banged out 5 reps for the second. The last rep took everything out of me, but I got it. Third set - yeah. Two reps and it didn't budge for number three.

Went to the power cleans afterwards. I had trouble with these last time - missing the last rep of the last set - and while I got all reps tonight, it was as ugly as the presses. Normally my form on these is spot on, but I was all over the place tonight.

Numbers:
    Squat 265x3x5
    Press 115 4,5,2
    P/C 150x5x3

While the P/Cs did not regress in weight, technically, I feel my form has been so off the last two workouts it may be time for a reset.

Presses - fuck. I'll give 'em one more go at 115 and see what happens.

The press can be a fickle mistress. Rest up over the weekend and begin to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    The press can be a fickle mistress.
    I hate the bitch

Haha, she is one mean bitch. I have tweaked my back a couple times Trying to tame that bitch. Keep up the good work, I got a lot of jarheads in my family, long line of 'em. You guys are tough as shit. Most respect for you.

Thanks for the kind words, kitten.

Missed yesterday's session. I had an emergency work call that ended up with my traveling four hours to CT and back - was up from 3 AM and didn't get home until 1 AM. Yikes.

Will resume Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    Greetings y'alls,

I'm 29, a former Marine sergeant, and have a few aches and pains in the knees and ankles from those military days
    Good luck with the log. I'm a former marine sergeant myself. Semper fi!

starting strength coach development program
    And a hearty Semper Fi to you, Tartan!

Tonight's numbers (weight - reps - sets)

Squat 270 - 5 - 3
    Bench 175 - 5 -3
    Deadlift 300 - 5 - 1

Tough tonight. Last rep on the squats was ugly as hell, but it was done. I'm experimenting with a slightly narrower stance in an effort to improve knees out and hip drive out of the bottom.

Bench press is slowing down quickly. As you all know what with my press issues, my upper body strength is poor relative to my lower body, does not progress easily, and keeps me awake at night. I didn't think the last rep was going to happen until I suddenly found it locked out. I'm having to concentrate on keeping my head from pressing into the bench - this is a bad habit of mine.

The deadlifts didn't come up easy, but they were the most satisfying lift tonight. Had to grind out the last one a little, but I believe progression on this lift will continue in 15-pound increments for a few more sessions.

All in all, I feel a minor reset coming in the next month; my first one for this training evolution.

Bodyweight tonight was 193. Seven pounds to man status.

-sergeant-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast