starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Krump's 20 rep squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    April 9

Squat 220x20

I battled demons. This may have been the hardest set of 20 reps squats I have ever done. It is at least a top contender. The first six reps were actually not bad and felt like one series of motions. After a quick breather the next five weren't even horrible yet either. But after twelve reps the struggle began. After 14 any semblance of a cadence was gone; I couldn't think beyond the current rep I was at let alone get my mind around 6. Each rep became its own battle and each battle was getting harder to survive. At this point my form was deteriorating badly. I was just trying to keep things together enough to not crumble. After rep 16 I think I started yelling but I am not positive. During the last two reps my mind started getting foggy and I couldn't really feel my body like normal. I think I was starting to lose my proprioception. The only thing I remember about the last rep is that my back rounded terribly but thankfully I didn't hurt myself (will have see how my back feels tomorrow).

Pull-overs 30x20

Upped the weight on the pull-overs and it felt ok. Will probably repeat 30 a few more times before going to 35.

Press 90x10x2

So spent at this point. First set wasn't hard by the last rep of the last set was a grinder.

Deadlift 210x15

When I finished my presses I felt very weak. It was hard for me even to stand with out trembling. I seriously considered skipping the DLs but soldiered on. The set sucked. It was just really really hard. I had to break for five seconds three different times to catch my breath. As memorable as the squats were, the aftermath of the DLs was even more so. I finished the set and felt terrible. I started feeling queasy and then got light-headed and nauseous so I went over to a window and leaned against it. Several minutes later I started dry-heaving for what felt like eternity but was probably only 15 seconds. After dry-heaving I didn't feel any better but had enough sense to realize I was still breathing very heavily long after my set. I figured I was hyperventilating so I slowed down my breathing and almost immediately felt better.

Now I know why this program is sometimes called "man-maker squats". On my walk back home from the gym I felt transformed. I didn't feel like the same person I was before going through that. It wasn't a big change, just the kind of change you go through when you become extremely humbled. I am taking two days rest now. I fucking earned it.
    Last edited by Krump; 04-09-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Your doing the pullovers advantagously. ive seen ppl lay on the bench as if doing a BP and hang off the end doing nose breakers /french curls. i think i read in enclyo of BB by Arnold that he used pullocers to expand his rib cage which added to that massive chest.
    Peary Radar's 20 squat program had the pullovers and mentioned using a light weight. But my question is-when does the body not stretch anymore using the same old 25lbs where a 30 or 35 would keep that stretching. I definately wouldnt turn the pullover into a core lift and maxing out.

Also along with this 20 squat program he had DLx20 routine and a PCx20.

Hey StrongIslander, what you say about the pull-overs makes sense. And thanks for the info on Peary Rader. I hadn't heard of him before. Most of what I knew about 20 rep squats was from the SS wiki and from Lee Hayward. Googling "Peary Rader 20 rep squat" brought up some great information I hadn't seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    But my question is-when does the body not stretch anymore using the same old 25lbs where a 30 or 35 would keep that stretching. I definately wouldnt turn the pullover into a core lift and maxing out.
    I think a better question is: what is the mechanism by which pullovers expand your ribcage? Or more to the point: is it even possible to expand your ribcage?

Nice job on the squats Krump, keep it up.

well according to arnold in encyclo of BB he swears by it-and going heavy! but i think for peary's 20 squat program its a matter of uncompressing your spinal and getting a good stretch. i wonder if just dead hanging from a pull up bar does the same thing? stretching that is.

Krump- no problem on the info. the super squats book is basically a rehash of peary's work too.
    Last edited by StrongIslander,NY; 04-10-2010 at 06:45 PM.

April 12

Squat 225x20

Yes! Two plates. After Friday's workout I was afraid 225 was going to kill me. So to try to ensure good recovery I spent the entire weekend stuffing my face and staying full. It wasn't comfortable but I think it helped. Effort wise 225 was very hard but it didn't even compare to Friday's 220. In fact I felt entranced during the fist 16 reps. I was so mentally prepared that once I started squatting I was at 16 before I even knew it. That really helped me mentally get threw the last 4. Form wasn't great on the last 2 reps but it was a lot better than the deterioration on 220.

Pullovers 30x25

Bench 140x10, 145x9

I failed on the last rep. I was having a hard time locking out the last 3 reps which was strange because I had never had trouble locking out my lifts on the bench press before. Fortunately I bench in the power rack when I don't have a spotter so no problems. Next time I bench I will do 145 again and if that goes well try to hit 150 on the second set.

DL 215x15

Didn't feel extremely difficult. Just took 2 quick breathers after rep 11 and 13.

Bravo - I reckon a 2 plate 20 rep squat is a great milestone.
    massive mental toughness mate.

well done.

April 14

Squat 230x15

Fail. I don't know. My legs felt good going into the workout. My reps didn't feel very tight though. I think I also had too much self-doubt. I went down for rep 16 and once I got half way up I started fighting and then my mind just gave up and I failed. Will try again.

Said fuck-it and nixed the Pullovers.

Press 95x10, 95x9

Row 120x10x2

April 16 update - My legs feel fresh but my lower right back is quite sore. It didn't hurt on Wednesday's workout but I will have to monitor it and see if it impacts my workouts.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello....??? you training or what? Lol just seein if your alive as i like the 1x20 squat routine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123