starting strength gym
Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: gzt is mostly wasting time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had a week off for travel and other shit, so today was "snatch to something heavy and back off a bit, clean and jerk to something heavy (I cut out the jerk because of the hand tear and also cut short the cleans), squat something decent, dick around a little, go home". That's what the next two sessions will look like, too. The old school Nautilus pullover machine is awesome. basically just a "get back in the gym" day. I have a weightlifting thing in 4 weeks. gotta prep.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    "snatch to something heavy and back off a bit, clean and jerk to something heavy, squat something decent, dick around a little, go home".
    This is basically what my workouts are looking like these days, except I throw in a heavy press or two and try and flesh out the 'dick around a little' part a bit.

It's fun.

power snatch 10 singles at 149. two were pressout, so no good. one
    power clean and jerk to 219, failed at 219 (punched it into my chin). gave up after punching it into my chin.
    f squat 245x3x3 focus on SPEED
    press did a few at 135, but arms blitzed from last silly workout and prior work
    nautilus pullover machine for kicks, like 10 @ the 11 setting.

hand not too torn up. I can clean a lot more than I can support in the jerk right now, so that's why it's power cleans right now. I need to get my snatch caught up to my strength. Am probably 35# short of where my brute strength would have me.

power snatch went up in 5ish # increments from 139 to 165, did five singles at 165# with no misses.
    power c+j 95kgx2, 100 failed twice on the jerk. first time didn't get even close to high enough, second lost it forward. psyched up a little, nailed it. then i thought, 100 kg, 100kg, may he lift for us, once again, once again, may he lift for us... so I did it twice more successfully. power clean because I can't jerk enough to require the squat yet.
    squat 365x3x3 focus on moving fast. good lifts.
    then i fiddled with some 45# kurlz and went home

grumble grumble
    snatch while warming up hurt something in the shoulder. I think I just didn't have it shrugged up enough and impinged a little. tried 165# three times then gave up.
    c+j 165# once just out of spite.
    pressed the empty bar a few times to move stuff around the shoulder
    went home to recover
    I think I'll be fine tomorrow. Going out of town for the weekend.

coming back from some travel and stuff, so i've missed a couple days
    snatch to 165, do 5 singles. good stuff.
    c+j to 219, do 3-4 singles, lost track. failed first one, but made 3-4. then decided to try 229. made it. cleaned 239 just to tie record, but didn't even try the jerk.
    decided to go home. there was a bar loaded to 435, so i deadlifted it and went home.

update: left shoulder, arm hurting a little. dull ache. enough to bug me as I was trying to sleep last night. I'm sure it'll be fine. taking ibuprofen.

other update: cut off the beard, left a moustache.

yet another update: I think my gym is not air conditioned. with highs frequently in the 90s over the next two months, this means I will have to consider training somewhere else for a little bit. there's a place that opened up recently that is actually much closer to me than my current gym (two train stops, would probably take 15 minutes to get there door-to-door on a bad day). it has terrible reviews on the internet because the owner is a douche and they opened before they had bathrooms, water fountains, or equipment. it looks like they have weights, bumper plates, tires, and "functional" stuff, but people were complaining even rather recently about not having sufficient cardio equipment (I don't care about that, obviously). The price is modest, but not as good as my current gym and my current gym is a known quantity with competitive lifters and strongmen. It's not terribly surprising to see a bench loaded to 405 at my current gym. You can't buy having strong people around. So, well, I'm thinking about things. I might buy two months to survive the summer and evaluate afterward. Or I might find after a short tour of the facility that there's still nothing there.

If it works out, though, I sort of have thoughts about a frequent training plan...

Softball game last night. Hit a three run homer. Won 12-11. Fell flat on my back in a huge puddle. Drank too much afterward.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a workout on saturday that i logged but didn't write here.

today:
    snatch to 174 in 5# increments from 159, fail at 179 twice, snatch 5 at 159.
    clean and jerk to 229, try 239 3x, nail the clean, but am blacking out at top.
    press 125x2x5 really quickly.
    curled 95x8 really quickly.
    went home, ran out of time, hence the quick arm stuff instead of squatting.

still considering the new gym mentioned previously.

Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast