starting strength gym
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Torchin' the Rhomboids, Blastin' the Core: A Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Bronan, I am curious what your conditioning days are going to look like. I am in the Army, and I basically do a powerlifting routine with a 4-6 week trainup for the APFT. I am 6' 250lbs so it is no small task. Since you are running 3 miles, I would assume you are doing longer intervals (800-1600).

I am using a pretty decent 30 day trainup that we are testing today (APFT!).

Will let you know how it goes.

Default 02/29/10 Chinups and Conditioning

Chins: BWx8,7,6. First thing in the morning. Felt weak.

Conditioning: Treadmill Tabata with speed at 10.5 and incline at 3.0. This was tough. 2 minute rest. Rower Tabata for a total of 967 meters. I don't know anything about rowing, so I have no idea whether that's a good distance for a Tabata.

Damon, to answer your question I am taking Justin Lascek's recommendation and limiting my conditioning to 8-10 minute sessions. The key is to go very hard. For instance, 10.5 on the treadmill Tabata is much faster than I plan to run my PFT. I think it's pretty well established that if one trains shorter distances/times at a high intensity, there will be a good amount of carryover to longer efforts. As I understand it this is one of the general ideas underlying HIIT, Crossfit, and Crossfit Endurance. It works for me, as I ran my best PFT when I wasn't training any more than maybe 400m at a time in intervals. This way you get most of the benefits of LSD without the muscle wasting, etc. Also, you don't have to run long distances, which is nice.

Default Addendum

So perhaps I should run longer intervals--800m for instance--but I don't really know how much difference that makes as long as I thrash myself for 8-10 minutes. Plus I don't really want to run anything longer than a 400m.

remember that your PFT isn't going to help or hurt your shot at promotion if you never do an MCI...

For my two cents in this discussion, I ran my fastest mile and 3 mile since high school last fall running almost entirely repeat max effort 400m. On the other hand, if it had been 200m or 800m i don't know if there would have been a big difference, running as hard as possible for short periods is money regardless of the specific distances. I may start using tabata sprints when i start running again, that hadn't occurred to me.

Default Squat, Bench, Dead

Squat:
    325x4
    322.5x4x2
    322.5x3

Bench:
    227.5x5x3

Deadlift:
    360x3
    355x3

Squat and deadlift didn't go exactly as planned. Got the volume but not the sets of 5 I wanted. No surprise there because I did conditioning just yesterday and didn't take a rest day since I'm behind on the week. Exams will be over for the most part on Monday. I plan to sleep about 14 hours that night and get back on track. On the bright side, this was a new 3rm on the deadlift. In fact it would've been a new 1rm had I only done one rep.

Default Addendum

Also did 45 degree back extensions with a barbell on the traps:

50x10x2

Default 05/05/10 Squat, Press, Powerclean

Squat: 322.5x5x3
    Press: 150x5x3
    Powerclean: 185x3x3

Gym closed early tonight so powercleans got cut short. Reduced the weight a bit on presses and went back to sets of five. Hoping that will help me break through this 155-160 plateau I've been at for a while. Really, really need to get some 1/2 pound plates for the press and bench. Felt good to get back in there after an exam week that was pretty rough on the food and sleep.

Also played 9 holes this morning. Need to hit the range first next time I go out.

Default 05/11/10, Squats and Bench

Gym closed an hour earlier than I had expected, so I had to race through these. I alternated sets of squat and bench with about 2 minutes rest in between each set. Not ideal, but I got my 15 reps on each. Will knock out deadlift, pullups, and a short conditioning session tomorrow morning. Way off schedule after a family illness required some unexpected travel.

Squat: 325 x 5, 3, 3, 2, 2
    Bench: 230 x 5, 3, 3, 2, 2

Default 05/12/10, Pullups, Deadlift, and Conditioning

Pullups: BWx8
    Chins: BWx8,6

Deadlift: 345x3x2. Back felt weak on these. Too much driving, sitting, and missing workouts lately.

Back Extensions: 55x10x3

Conditioning: Treadmill Push, 10 seconds on, 20 seconds off for 4 minutes. I read about this on elitefts the other day and had never heard of it, so I decided to give it a try. Absolutely brutal. If this is anything like pushing the prowler, I think I understand the hype now. Give it a try.

Default 05/14/10 -- Squat, Press, Power Snatch

starting strength coach development program
    Squat:
    225 x 5, 4, 3

Press:
    150 x 5, 5, 4

Power Snatch:
    Some singles and doubles at 135.

Time to switch to some form of intermediate programming. Power snatches will be fun if I can get decent at them.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast