starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: nisora's injured, not down or out (but gettin' yoked) training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    They’re located at the proximal end of the 5<sup>th</sup> metatarsal...
    So basically you stubbed your little toe? yeah, time for curls...

bowdirk

I know your are on the computer right now viewing some hot ass cross fit chics with little clothing on doing squats, with a large Buddy's bar-b-q sandwich in your mouth with your foot propped up. I can see it now. I need your address to send your certs bro.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdirk View Post
    So basically you stubbed your little toe? yeah, time for curls...

bowdirk
    I'm gonna kill you 'til you die from it.

5/6/10
    <o></o>
    Seated press – 100 lbs. X 1,2,3 rep “ladder” X 5 sets, 60-90 sec. rest between “rungs”
    (rear left shoulder is complaining somewhat, the sets still went up nice and easy, for the most part—I’m just playing these ladders by ear, and if I feel like I can get another ladder without the lift getting too “grindy,” I do it; furthermore, I’m treating the overhead press more like a “skill” that needs to be practiced and developed than a strength movement per se, with the hope that all this practice will keep feeding my heavier singles that I have planned for Fridays, to which I should add that it does seem like the press can tolerate more volume than I once thought, at least in the absence of any other pressing type work throughout the week)

Hip extension
    on the glute-ham developer – 40 lbs. X 8 reps X 1 set, 35 lbs. X 8 reps X 3 sets, various rest periods due to helping coach some of the guys around the gym
    (changed the positioning of the pads relative to my hips so that they touched my upper thigh without touching my pelvis; this changed the leverage, making the movement more difficult, so I dropped the weight to 35 lbs.)

Chin-up – 6 reps X 4 sets, 4 min. break between sets

Bent-knee sit-up – 40 lb. dumbbell X 10 reps X 3 sets, 2 min. break between sets

Update on the broken foot: I don't know where I am with this. There's some way that I unconsciously tense my foot up when I do hip extensions that's fucking pissing my foot off. The problem is I don't know whether I'm doing damage or impeding the healing process, or if this is just some minor pain that I'm going to go through for a while regardless, or if it's soft tissue related, or what. I guess I'll see where I am next Wednesday at my follow-up.
    <!--EndFragment-->

How does the weight you are using on the seated press compare to what you are able to press standing?

Perhaps you should try handstand pushups since their more befitting to your new environment.

Kipping handstand pushups. and kipping squats. everything kips.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    Perhaps you should try handstand pushups since their more befitting to your new environment.
    This reminds me of the handicapped guy in Shallow Hal, he was like a miniature gorilla walking around on his hands all the time.

Fuck healing, if you were a real man you'd have already cut the damned thing off and fashioned yourself a peg. Ahhh, the good ole days...

5/08/10

Stress and lack of sleep have taken their toll. No drive to lift, but I lifted anyway--stupid me.

Seated press - 127 lbs. X 1-1 rep
    (Couldn't find the right pressing groove today. I was sore as fuck all over too, don't know why--might have been a nutritional problem. Left shoulder felt fucked, and on the whole, I just felt really pissed with these and with my workout in general.)

Hip extension on glute-ham developer - 35 lbs. X 8-8-8 reps, 2 min. rest between sets (I just had no motivation at this point; getting some kind of strange sacro-iliac discomfort doing these, also--don't know what that's all about.)

Chin-up - 6 reps X 3 sets, 4 min. break between sets
    (Shoulders were done-in by the time I got to these, and three sets was all I could muster.)

Bent-knee sit-up - 40 lbs. X 10-10-10 reps, 2 min. break between sets

***Foot update***
    Did some more weight bearing today. Foot felt surprisingly good. I'm hoping this means good things for the healing process. I'm still not able to toe off on the injured foot, but I am able to put the whole foot down flat and put most of my weight on it. To be continued...

starting strength coach development program
    5/10/10

Seated press - 95 lbs. X 1,3,5 rep "ladder" X 3, 90 sec. rest between "rungs"
    (Cut back the volume on these out of respect for my growing shoulder discomfort; shoulders felt okay once warmed, and the bar speed stayed fairly quick throughout all three ladders.)

Hip extension on glute-ham developer - 20 lbs. X 10-10-10 reps, 2 min. break between sets
    (Sacro-iliac discomfort was still present, but oddly enough, making sure to breath all the way out on the descent made it almost disappear--makes me think there's a nerve root issue that increased intra-abdominal pressure aggravates, never quite felt anything like this before.)

Chin-up - 6 reps X 5 sets, 4 min. break between sets
    (Felt good, mostly.)

Bent-knee sit-up - 40 lbs. X 10-10-12 reps, 2 min. break between sets

***Foot update***
    Still able to bear weight on the injured side with minimal adverse effect, besides a bit of swelling of the ankle by the end of the day, but oddly, the swelling keeps popping up on the side opposite of the injury--weird. Getting another x-ray this Wednesday.

EDIT: For the sake of full disclosure, I should add that I went back and did a little experimentation a couple of hours after this workout. And seriously, fuck hip extensions on the glute-ham developer: no matter how I tweak the movement, they give me sacro-iliac pain! Soooooooooooo, I tried something just to see whether I could do it or not, and I found out I can do light, I'm talkin' LIGHT SLDLs (95 lbs. to be exact). I did 4 sets of 10 reps 2 inches down past the knee with only mild, mild discomfort in my foot. And my God, did it feel good. So screw hip extensions from now on.
    Last edited by nisora33; 05-10-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast