starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Listen to me, maggots. Listen for your lives, for that's what it could mean some day. You never see all that you see. One of the things they send you to me for is to show you what you don't see in what you see--what you don't see when you're scared, or fighting, or running, or fucking." - Cort, The Dark Tower Two: The Drawing of the Three

DE press - 107 lbs. X 1 rep X 12 sets, 1 rep every 60 seconds
    (No more elbow pain, shoulders not feeling too bad either.)

DE deadlift - 225 lbs. X 1 rep X 12 sets, 1 rep every 60 seconds
    (Easy breezy. Low back was a little tender, due to overextension in my pressing work, I think.)

Chin-up - 8-7-7-6 reps
    (First week that I've not been able to add reps to any of the sets in a while. Lats were noticeably fatigued from SLDLs on Monday, so that could explain things.)

-S.

"I can't find a tighter shirt," he thought, "so this one'll just have to do."

Last edited by nisora33; 06-30-2010 at 12:37 PM.

"He lay still, feeling his heart pumping like a runaway engine, feeling fresh energy surge into his body so fast he felt as if he might actually explode." - Stephen King, TDT2: The Drawing of the Three

BTNeck push-press (to eccentric strict press) - 149 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep
    (Elbows felt good, shoulder mostly okay. Definitely aggravating my back with these by not keep my abs as tight as I should. Will be more conscious of that going forward.)

ME deadlift - 360 lbs. X 1 rep, belt only
    (Ugly rep. First time my low back has lost some extension. Definitely going to have to proceed more conservatively with my weight jumps from this point forward, because I'm not comfortable with the idea of my low back going soft. Still, this wasn't as ugly as some of the shit I see, you dig? Five pound jumps should suffice, and I may even stay at 360 lbs. for my top single next Friday, we'll see):

http://vimeo.com/13040108 (lift starts about one third of the way through the video).

Weighted chin-up - BW (210 lbs?) + 10 lbs X 5-5-5-5 reps

Bent-knee sit-up - 50 lbs. X 10-10-10 reps

-S.

Today, I began a "different" sort of training program...

Press - 127 lbs. X 1 rep
    Deadlift - 325 lbs. X 1 rep
    Weighted chin-up - BW + 17.5 lbs. X 5-5 reps
    Bent-knee sit-up - 52 lbs. X 8 reps

Press - 120 lbs. X 1 rep
    Deadlift - 325 lbs. X 1 rep
    Weighted chin-up - BW + 17.5 lbs. X 5 reps
    Bent-knee sit-up - 52 lbs X 10 reps

-S.

"Bob Peoples, ye ole patron saint of deadlifting, watch over me!"

I'm selecting loads that feel like an 8 or lowish 9 on the RPE scale. If I feel like I can do more on any given day, I do. Last week, motivation to train waxed and waned just like you'd expect, with my worst training day being Wednesday; Thursday and Friday, I was definitely feeling tired, but the top singles themselves felt "relatively" effortless considering. Aches and pains are cropping up, but nothing horribly showstopping as of yet. Yes, I know deadlifts have a reputation for beating you up, I'm a crazy person.

Press - 124 lbs. X 1-1 rep
    Deadlift - 330 lbs. X 1 rep http://vimeo.com/13275015
    Weighted chin-up - BW + 20 lbs. X 5-5 reps
    Weighted bent-knee sit-up - 52 lbs. X 10 reps

So far, the way I'm managing to get in and train every day, even though I don't feel like training at times, is telling myself that, like a manual laborer, I don't have any choice, it's my "job," I just have to do it regardless. This is working so far.

Interesting thing about today's session: my low back had been feeling tight and wanting to complain yesterday during deadlifts, following my two days off, but today it actually felt better. And in spite of having had only 4 maybe 5 hours of sleep last night (I have to open the gym here on Tuesdays and Thursdays, get up early), my energy level wasn't all that bad. Certainly didn't feel like pushing myself, but didn't feel especially drained either.

Press - 122 lbs. X 1 rep (didn't feel "springy," so I stopped here)
    Deadlift - 330 lbs. X 1 rep (hands f**king hurt, otherwise felt okay)
    Weighted chin-up - BW+20 lbs. X 5 reps

Just like the middle of the week last week, my motivation sucked. Didn't really want to be lifting--even loading and unloading the weights on the bar felt like an effort. All the lifts felt like a lowish 9 on the RPE scale. Low back is the only thing right now giving me any sort of trouble, with burning down there during and in-between sets being the most aggravating thing; aches a little bit after I'm done. Won't kill me.

Press - 122 lbs. X 1 rep
    Deadlift - 330 lbs. X 1 rep
    Weighted chin-up - BW+20 lbs. X 5-5 reps

Better. More motivation. All the lifts today felt like an 8-8.5 on the RPE scale. Low back again burning like a wildfire during and in-between sets. And I've never had the bones of my hands actually ache before; this is a new experience.

Press - 124 lbs. X 1 rep (then backed off to 115 lbs. and did a few singles, 1 every 90 seconds [might use this method to start adding volume?])
    Bent-knee sit-up - 52 lbs. X 10 reps

-S.

These next two days off are gonna feel sweeeeet. On a side note: I'm getting addicted to doing weighted chins.

Press - 124 lbs. X 1, 115 lbs X 1-1-1 rep (90 sec. rest between each)
    Deadlift - 330 lbs. X 1 (suckage)

-S.

So what's the plan here Mr.Stacey? Doing a circuit a day, Lots of relative max's?

Starting my 3rd week of high-frequency training:

Press -125 lbs. X 1, 115 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep, 60 sec. break between singles
    (These were easy-breezy, I'm pleased to say. However, I'm not going to commit to doing back-off sets regularly until maybe next week, but when I do, it'll probably be like this, doing a single every 60 seconds at a lighter weight until I've accrued the desired number of reps.

Deadlift - 330 lbs. X 1, 295 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep, 60 sec. rest between each single
    (The lift felt easy, like a high 7 on the RPE scale.)

Weighted bent-knee sit-up - 55 lbs. X 9 reps

General achiness was at a whole new level today. Guess this is the "lifter's flu?"

Press - 125 lbs. X 1, 115 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep, 60 sec. rest between singles
    (Piece of cake. Felt just like "another day at work.")

Deadlift - 330 lbs X 1 rep, 295 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep
    (Didn't go well. The weight itself didn't feel like a challenge [getting mentally acclimated to daily "heavy" lifting would account for that, I guess] but the lift just keeps getting sloppier as the days go by, to the point where I just don't have the strength to hold a good strong position anymore. Low back is getting chronically tighter and more painful, and this only gets worse as my warm-up sets get heavier, until it becomes a full-on throbbing ache that lingers for several minutes after I've finished my top single.)

Bent-knee sit-up - 55 lbs. X 10 reps

Press - 125 lbs. X 1 rep, 115 lbs. X 1-1-1 rep
    (Not bad. Not as good as yesterday, but not very difficult either.)

(Back felt worse instead of better. Again, the itself didn't feel heavy, but the deep ache coursing through the low back into the upper glute seemed worse [old L5-S1 injury to blame?]. It might be too early to arrive at conclusions [I'm only two and a half weeks into the high frequency shit], but I'm wondering if [for me, at least] the high frequency deadlift work is going to be productive; right now, I can't imagine even coming within 10-20 pounds of hitting my local maxima deadlift PR. The press seems to be responding the best out of the two lifts, so I've made up my mind [and this seems to jive with what a lot of really strong, experienced pressers have to say] to continue with daily conservative max singles in the press from this point forward, regardless of whether I continue to do so with any of the other lifts.)

Weighted bent-knee sit-up -55 lbs. X 10 reps

S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 07-22-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Seeing what "Dot Defender" was going to do.

Great links Stacey, thanks. Exercise "tolerance" has always been an interesting and lively debate for sure, with Arthur Jones/Metzner on one end and The Bulgarians (Broz now)/Weider on the other. People in my experience can thrive and make improvements within a range of stimulus, and with basically as many "programs" as there are trainees, an intelligent lifter certainly has enough options to find out what works the best for them personally based on what they can tolerate/lifestyle/etc. Sometimes less is more, sometime more is what you need. You ever read Steve Justa's book? He deadlifts every day too....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    Great links Stacey, thanks. Exercise "tolerance" has always been an interesting and lively debate for sure, with Arthur Jones/Metzner on one end and The Bulgarians (Broz now)/Weider on the other. People in my experience can thrive and make improvements within a range of stimulus, and with basically as many "programs" as there are trainees, an intelligent lifter certainly has enough options to find out what works the best for them personally based on what they can tolerate/lifestyle/etc. Sometimes less is more, sometime more is what you need. You ever read Steve Justa's book? He deadlifts every day too....
    Couldn't agree more.

As for Justa, I have only a passing familiarity with his stuff, most of which I've gleaned from the P&B forum. I think that Pavel has advocated the "groove" approach with regard to deads; Bob Peoples alternated periods of daily deadlifting with daily squatting. And lots of old-timers, from what I've gathered, would sometimes specialize in the deadlift for stretches of time with high frequency. So I know that it CAN work, I'm just not sure whether it's working for me, or if it'll pan out further down the line, OR if now is just not the right time in my life for the high frequency approach using THIS particular lift.

-S.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast