starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't have a log. Not in the sense that you thought I said I did. Good golly.

Default I don't have a log. Not in the sense that you thought I said I did. Good golly.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is for all intents and purposes a SS log but I'm putting it down here because I don't want some poor member of Posterity to come along and think what is to follow is relevant to the progress of a committed novice, because it almost certainly won't be.

Thoughts, advice, insults appreciated. Let's leave mothers and Rush out of it please.

Here's my main challenge. I've done LP oh, 5 times Some are documented here, others in my red notebook in my garage. Most of my runs have ended up with 3 plate squat and deadlift a little more than that. At that point getting stronger starts to have diminishing returns for me, seeing as

A) I have no desire to compete in weight or power lifting
    B) I do not play any sports nor want to
    C) I like playing with my kids and practicing musical instruments more than lifting; my workout budget is pretty much never going to exceed 3 hrs/week.

One thing I have going for me now is a dedicated space for lifting. We moved last fall, and I've got a good 10x10 area of my garage that I can keep clear of junk all the time (and still park the cars inside... it's a big garage) and ready to go at a moments notice. By this fall I'll have it heated as well.

Anyway, I'm going to be working my way back up to my previous thresholds and then see what happens. What I'd appreciate is advice on coming up with a plan for what to do when linear progress doesn't work any more, but I'm not willing to devote 90 minutes 4x a week to something like texas method.

I've read all the books and other than sucking at power cleans I think I've got the technique of the lifts pretty well sorted; I've managed to never really hurt myself in 6 years off and on.
    Last edited by mikeylikey; 04-26-2016 at 09:18 AM.

4/26/16

SQ 195x5,5,5
    PR 110x5,5,5
    DL 255x5

Soviet coconaut crush competition.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
    Let's leave mothers and Rush out of it please.
    Fair enough. But to clarify, you mean Rush Rush, right? Limbaugh Rush is OK?

Oohoohh! We're subforum buddies! I'm gonna get matching friendship bracelets and pajamas. Then we'll be so cute together!!!1!!!one!

#seriousface:

Given your description, I'd say 5/3/1 is your best bet after LP. It has a single lift focus per session, so you wouldn't have to spend more than about an hour unless you wanna get crazy swole on assistance lifts.

Welcome to the E&P of training forums.

Awesome to see you logging. I hope you have great success and can find a good balance between your little guys, music, and lifting.

BTW, three hours per week is PLENTY of time to get some solid work done.

I found some music for you to lift to:

It sucks.

Most of my meager PRs have been set to SymphonyX.

This was Saturday's Squat PR Song.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
    A) I have no desire to compete in weight or power lifting
    Pussy.

B) I do not play any sports nor want to
    Pussy.

C) I like playing with my kids and practicing musical instruments more than lifting;
    OVERHEAD PRESS YOUR KIDS FOR REPS

They'll probably love it. Though I think they're kind of small. Do one in each hand until you can SS+GOMAD them up to a few hundred pounds.

Anyway, I'm going to be working my way back up to my previous thresholds and then see what happens. What I'd appreciate is advice on coming up with a plan for what to do when linear progress doesn't work any more, but I'm not willing to devote 90 minutes 4x a week to something like texas method.
    A.) Pussy
    B.) I believe PP3rdEd had a weekly-ish routine, that was four days, but with shorter individual workouts because each workout was dedicated to one lift. Bench on Monday, Squat on Tuesday, Stnding Press on Friday, Deadlift and light squats (because deadlifts are always low volume) on Friday. Pick a Useful Assistance Exercise or two for each lift, cycle between volume and intensity on a weekly basis. You'll probably still spend a fair amount of total time training per week, but it'll be broken up into smaller segments that are easier to schedule around your familial handicaps.

...Obligations. Familial obligations.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast