starting strength gym
Page 103 of 659 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't know if it will help you but I've got a milk crate that I stack boards on to for the proper depth. I can check depth in the mirror at home to see what makes the right height. On recovery or light days I take the crate to the gym and use them to pause on. I have to concentrate on many of the warm-up sets because it never feels like I'm low enough on them. Once I hit depth on those the work sets seem to be no problem.

Good idea John, and thank you. I started with a bungee cord early last year as a similar kind of tactile cue. My major mistake was accepting advice from someone else in the gym who told me I was deep enough and setting the bungee at that level. The butt location sensors worked pretty well, assuming I had set it low enough in the first place.

I think the "i'm too old for technology" doesn't cut it since you seem to be a smart and technologically adapted geezer , but the no video policy doesn't give you much room to work around, which sucks.

Thanks for the bracing call to arms Carlos. You're right, I'm babying myself a little on the technology thing I'm sure. When I be honest with myself and think of the the stuff I do at work like calculate how many electrons have to dance on the head of a ground rod, I realize I'm just being a stubborn old fart and resisting the advance of technology whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks for the bracing call to arms Carlos. You're right, I'm babying myself a little on the technology thing I'm sure. When I be honest with myself and think of the the stuff I do at work like calculate how many electrons have to dance on the head of a ground rod, I realize I'm just being a stubborn old fart and resisting the advance of technology whenever I can.
    I have had a horrible time videotaping myself. I have been practicing trying to get the right angle and distance and it's irritating enough that I only do it once every week or two. But, I have found it to be really worth annoyance. Also, I have a Flip camera and cheap tiny tripod which is the size of my cell phone and I doubt anyone notices it's there. I think it's worth a shot. (no pun intended ;-) )

Second Gwynn et al. I use the "Video Coach" every time I lift, especially for squats, cleans and snatches.

Weight: 246

5 minute warmup on the bike. (Medium Day)

Bench Press: 225 5-5-5-5-4. Sooo close, but couldn't lock that sucker out on the last rep. Good thing for lower catch hooks since I always do this sans spotter.

Curl: 110 5-5-5-5-5. Standing pat for now in this movement at this weight.

Pinch Grip: 150 held for 20 seconds.

Stretching and foam roller.

I guess I'm going to have to get one of the cheapie vid cams and try this. Thanks for the tips lady and gents.

It is really hard getting confronted with how wrong you have been doing things for decades and working on hammering your brain and body into doing it correctly. Especially when you have to drop the weight (again!) and burn in the new adjusted movement before you can start moving up again.

It is really hard getting confronted with how wrong you have been doing things for decades and working on hammering your brain and body into doing it correctly. Especially when you have to drop the weight (again!) and burn in the new adjusted movement before you can start moving up again.
    I am trying to make peace with the idea that Form Creep is a fact of life.

Form Creep. I like that. Kind of like the mission creep I hear so much about at work. Except for when someone is calling ME a creep.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah but you know what the right thing to do is. It is never too late to turn around because you are on the wrong road. You'll get there and looking back you may even appreciate the reset. The difference that you see in a lot of people is that when they are confronted with the truth, the strong ones are those that accept it and use it to get better.