starting strength gym
Page 154 of 659 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254654 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 251

5 minutes warmup on the bike. (5/5/5+ Week)

Bench Press: 160-5, 185-5, 210-6.

Power Snatch: 75-5, 85-5, 95-5.

Weight: 252

Back for the first jujitsu of the new year. What a great session. I was the only one there with Master Bellman for the first 10 minutes or so and he showed off his new bonsai project. A 50 year old one about 2 feet tall and as thick as my wrist. Some really interesting discussion of the topic.

But the main event was so much better even. He lead off showing a bunch of new techniques that he had been developing and tinkering with. The first was a counter to an attempted bear hug from behind. As the attacker's hands come into view the defender steps back on their left foot and drops their center and then drives their shoulder into the attacker. Note the shoulder, specifically NOT the elbow. As the defender's shoulder drops into the attacker, they then drive off their right leg at the same time. The turn to the side by the defender makes it impossible for the attacker to get their arms around them. The shoulder drop and leg drive delivers a powerful full body impact and strike that knocks the attacker back with arms flying apart and some loss of wind from a solar plexus displacement. An astoundingly simple technique that is one of the reasons this dojo has the profound hold on me it does.

We then went to a counter for a front choke that involved a powerful rising arm strike. The defender puts his right wrist in neutral as if for a ridge hand strike and then steps forward with the right foot and drives the right arm across the body and up at the attacker's right tricep just above the elbow on the ulnar nerve. A very effective technique that just really hurts and makes holding on impossible. Then the defender circles their right arm around and outward with an assist from the left hand and deflects the attacker across his own body as the defender steps to the left and past the attacker. A good downward sweep can really throw the attacker off and did in a few instances flatten them.

Master Bellman had me grab him in a double lapel hold and then reached over the top of my left arm with his right arm and grabbed my right lapel. He then drove his right elbow downward into my left elbow and it caved me in like the Sands in a controlled demolition collapse. I was entirely off balance forward and had no ability to exert force in resistance. But then he stepped forward with his right foot and drove and extended his right arm up and across my sternomastoid and trapezius. My head and entire upper body were then kuzushied to the rear and I was left even weaker. Not to mention set up for a couple of nasty head and neck strikes as well as a guillotine choke.

He then used me to demonstrate an escape from a double lapel grab by using the knuckles on the sternum. In this once the attacker grabs, the defender extends his middle set of knuckles and rubs them laterally across the sternum. Oh damn does it hurt. All you want to do is back away from it. Just a slight extension of the arm and the attacker retreats from the pain.

We finished off with some resisting arrest problems to overcome. John, the retired LAPD guy was called to the fore in terms of setting the scenario and the issues and I, once again, was the crash dummy. This involved the arrestee resisting attempts to bring them under arrest in either handcuffs or a non-forceful hold on the arm and wrist for control. So Master Bellman told me to resist. Which I knew was going get me hurt at least a little. But being the obedient kind of guy I am, I resisted. And I got zapped. The first softening up technique was an open hand palm strike with the left hand to the space on the left side of my head between the ear, eye, and along the mandible. Once again, lightning flashed across my brain. It left me weak and dizzy and my right arm was quickly and easily brought up behind my back in a hammer lock. Nothing I could do would have mustered enough effective resistance to prevent it. Then he took a lower key approach and reached up with his left hand and pulled my head down and in a circle. Talk about hitting the easy button. Once again, I lost all ability to resist and my arm was hammerlocked in short order.

Great work today, but I have had the crap knocked out of me and am still a little dizzy and woozy.

Weight: 250.5

5 minutes warmup on the bike. (3-3-3 week)

Squats: 205-3, 235-3, 265-3. This felt unusually hard.

Rolling Dumbbells: 40, 12-12-12-12-10. If you have even a slightly week arm dumbbells will find it out sooner rather than later. Set 4 was challenging. Set 5 nearly had me conk myself in the forehead on rep 8. But I gritted out 2 more reps. Man-O-man Oldster, do my triceps feel pumped!

Hammer Curls: 40, 12-12-12-12-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Weight: 250.5
    I'm telling you man, you need to start using those old scales. I swear, by now you'd be down to 165!

Rolling Dumbbells: 40, 12-12-12-12-10. If you have even a slightly week arm dumbbells will find it out sooner rather than later. Set 4 was challenging. Set 5 nearly had me conk myself in the forehead on rep 8. But I gritted out 2 more reps. Man-O-man Oldster, do my triceps feel pumped!
    I BET they feel pumped! Nearly conking yourself in the forehead reminds me of a funny story. We had this young fellow coming in and lifting quite a few years back and he started working his triceps real hard. One day he went up too far with the rolling dumbells and we could all see it start to happen. His left hand starts to drift back toward his head but he caught it and over compensated. Now we all panicked and started screaming noooooo, but it was too late. Yep, 45lbs right down on his 'junk'. We all cringed and about threw up...

Hammer Curls: 40, 12-12-12-12-12.
    Nice!

This weight thing is really pissing me off! I am hungry all-the-time lately and the damn scale just won't cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Very cool, Mark. Looking forward to hearing all about it. I suspect you will do really well. :-)
    +1.

Funny, if I am following your descriptions several of these counters are part of the Yang style Taiji form (really, in the internal arts canon in various forms), and the last one I think can be derived from it.

As for your meet, I think your goals might be conservative, but much will depend on you keeping up your recovery.

Thanks Sully.

Master Bellman does not hew closely to the danzan ryu that he fractionated mushin ryu out from after adding in some kempo. He has said time and again that he wants mushin ryu to be a living art capable of adapting without becoming too canonical like judo has and danzan ryu did a little later. So he experiments a lot and borrows from a number Chinese arts including chin na. He hasn't mentioned Taiji but then it too is Chinese after all. The minimalist approach seems to becoming more evident than ever to me. But that could be a result of learning how to look at what I am actually doing.

I want to be realistic in my goals and not sell woof tickets in advance. But I agree, I might be low in everything but the bench press. I have vivid memories of amping up before competing in the past and if I still have that same wiring intact I will know after my first lift. It could well be that might surf an adrenaline wave into much higher 3rd lifts than I have predicted. I'll use the 2nd lift as the gauge for that.

As far as recovery, I can tell right now that I need some lower intensity lifting for a few weeks and maybe even forgo an interim PR attempt in the next 15 weeks. Those lifetime PR's in the DL and squat in such close order in the last couple of months have exacted a price from me. I need to let my reserves get recharged because just now I can feel some deeper fatigue and discomfort in the knees and shoulders that needs to get a lot better. But I'll know better in 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks Sully.

Master Bellman does not hew closely to the danzan ryu that he fractionated mushin ryu out from after adding in some kempo. He has said time and again that he wants mushin ryu to be a living art capable of adapting without becoming too canonical like judo has and danzan ryu did a little later. So he experiments a lot and borrows from a number Chinese arts including chin na. He hasn't mentioned Taiji but then it too is Chinese after all. The minimalist approach seems to becoming more evident than ever to me. But that could be a result of learning how to look at what I am actually doing.

I want to be realistic in my goals and not sell woof tickets in advance. But I agree, I might be low in everything but the bench press. I have vivid memories of amping up before competing in the past and if I still have that same wiring intact I will know after my first lift. It could well be that might surf an adrenaline wave into much higher 3rd lifts than I have predicted. I'll use the 2nd lift as the gauge for that.

As far as recovery, I can tell right now that I need some lower intensity lifting for a few weeks and maybe even forgo an interim PR attempt in the next 15 weeks. Those lifetime PR's in the DL and squat in such close order in the last couple of months have exacted a price from me. I need to let my reserves get recharged because just now I can feel some deeper fatigue and discomfort in the knees and shoulders that needs to get a lot better. But I'll know better in 2-3 weeks.
    I look forward to reading your programming and progress, Mark. Goals for me are tricky to set, particularly in lifting since I am relatively new to this stuff. BTW, your arms must be trashed!

starting strength coach development program
    I'm completely at sea on setting meet goals. Most of what I am using is conjecture based on old responses to physical challenges. I've never competed in lifting before and don't know what that will be like. So I'll be learning too.

My arms are fine. They recover pretty fast. My knees feel better today too.