starting strength gym
Page 287 of 659 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337387 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A heavy single at 95% of what you're shooting for at a meet should probably feel hard. Now just manage your recovery, and keep your head level on meet day.

Thanks guys. My plan for next week is to deload as recommended by Wendler. By this, he says very light or no lifting at all. I'm going with no lifting. I'll also stay off the mat and do lots of sleeping.

Mark, good luck at the meet.

Thanks. I'm trying to maintain an even strain.

Weight: 256.

Jujitsu with the kids last night nearly had Gary one of the 5th degree black belts ready to tear his hair out. We have one clearly autistic kid with what looks increasingly like a little Asperger's and another one with such a short attention span that I have to wonder what his life in school must be like. I've gotten used to them and enforced a high level of patience and persistence on myself to simply repeat the instruction and correct them as they err. The other kids had varying levels of success in picking up a torture hold on the wrist. In it, the attacker grabs the lapel with one hand to either pull the defender in close or set them up for a sucker punch with the other hand. The defender grabs their hand with their opposite hand and loops their shoulder over the grabbed side. Then drops their center which puts the attacker's wrist in the hurt locker. Gary worked off some of his frustrations by showing MS Sam, our prize student, some more advanced techniques on the sidelines.

I picked up some more second degree brown belt techniques in the adult class and am now familiar with over half of them. These techniques are much easier for me to execute than the 3rd degree techniques since most involve a lot of blocks and striking counter-attacks. I am getting some advanced concepts explained now about opening nerve center cavities and how to angle the strikes to do that.

Doctor visits are interfering with my lifting plans so far this week. My liver readings got me a session with a gastroenterologist today who doesn't seem concerned but does want me to get an ultrasound, drop DHEA as a supplement and drop alcohol. Of course I got the question about PED's since I lift and compete. Nope. Not me. This was something of a load off my mind, because I was worried. But so far, no indications of anything too serious.

Lifting tomorrow. Deadlifts.

I think getting 95% is a good indication that you'll hit your goal. Keep it up, good luck and stay frosty.

THanks Eric. Wendler says so too anyway. I have high hopes of rocketing up my final DL single of 390 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Doctor visits are interfering with my lifting plans so far this week. My liver readings got me a session with a gastroenterologist today who doesn't seem concerned but does want me to get an ultrasound, drop DHEA as a supplement and drop alcohol.
    decloaking here. I've been lurking / lifting SS then TM for a couple years. I'm 53.

Went through the same Liver scare (although I didn't do the ultrasound). For me, my liver enzymes are elevated by lifting...systematic inflammation from lifting heavy. When I take 10 days off before blood work, my liver enzymes normalize. Doctors I've dealt with were not aware of this false positive, but it is well documented. Here's a study I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/

Hopefully your tests will turn out the same.

I dropped alcohol when I started SS; I've convinced myself that this sacrifice helps my recovery/sleep which I'd say is my biggest challenge.

DHEA made me grumpy after a couple of months so I dropped it also.

Enjoy your meet and thanks for sharing your log here.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the good wishes and information Kitsuma. Just now though, I am nursing a bum right wrist from what cause I know not. But it's bad enough that I have tripled down with iburpofen, voltaren, and ice. Oh my! Typing is moderately uncomfortable but my wrist and the tendon of my thumb is swollen and very tender making gripping for DL's today impossible. It hurts to even lightly grip the mouse. Add to having it kept me awake on and off last night, and I am not a happy or very alert geezer just now.

As for the liver, my own GP Doc Smith had me refrain from exercise earlier this year, although in my case I only had a 3 day gap in my training. No where near the amount of time you mentioned or the study talked about. Thanks for the link. Doc Smith seemed to know something about this study, but apparently not in detail to advise me likewise. I can only surmise that between the lifting and the beatings I get and administer on the mat, probably have these levels elevated as a result. But just to be safe, I'll go along with his program. The ultrasound is looking for potential liver abnormalities.

Dropping the DHEA, I forgot during my dosing routine this morning and had to spit the capsule out, will be no sacrifice. I started taking it in the hopes of better acuity and energy. As for your sleep issues, I've mentioned my apnea diagnosis. My internet purchase of a Snorex seems to have solved the problem albeit it with some attendant tooth sensitivity from chomping on it at night. You might consider that possibilty too.

I've been in better spirits frankly. So far I have gotten no confirmation as in the past re: my entry form. Also, while I'm happy to see my Best Belt is ready to ship, it may not arrive in time. Now this latest malady. Grrrr.