starting strength gym
Page 296 of 659 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346396 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I have watched that video and another by Ripp on the 2.0 press . It sure seems in some of the videos that they are driving up,when the hips come forward, although the idea is to drive from the rebound of the hips going back... I went to the squat camp and some how we discussed this. I still don't understand why it is advised. To me it is sort of like doing a cheat curl.
    I had trouble getting the 2.0 version from reading the books. Probably because (maybe like you too) I was always uneasy about the "integrity" of a layback in the press when it was still an Olympic lift. That was something the cheatin' Russians would do. Although after reading in some of Rips' articles published here about the backstory on the press in those days I began to see that NO ONE was pure as the wind driven snow back then, and Hoffman was up to his eyeballs in it. If you look at old photos you can see Bill March doing a layback nearly identical to what Rip advises.

But seeing that video brought it all together for me finally. The even slight momentum of the hips driving provides a liftoff for the upward drive of the hands and arms. Not a military press for sure, but then when you look closely at what Rip recommends for form in the curl, I was always taught that bringing the elbow forward was a form of cheating too. So I did concentration curls, preacher curls, and other curls of that nature to get that Larry Scott biceps peak! Too bad about Scott. He died not so long ago from Alzheimers.

Weight: 260.5

5-5-5 Cycle.

Squat: 190-5, 220-5, 250-5. It took longer than usual to get the shoulders loose enough to get a good low bar position on my traps. As a result the back of my neck is a little sore from the bar on the cervical vertebrae and the knurling on my skin.

CGBP: 145 for 3 sets of 8.

DB Hammer Curls: 75 for 3 sets of 8.

I got my HR up 92% of MHR just lifting. Followed by the cardio GXP without the 5 minute warmup. Since I had warmed up more thoroughly than I do performing cardio only. Then stretching.

I just started trying to do press 2.0, working from Rip's YouTube videos, and I'm not sure I've got it quite right yet. Nonetheless, I feel a lot stronger with that technique, and expect to start lifting new set PRs and single RMs in the next couple of weeks.

I've been tying to figure it out, and in one of the videos Rip mentions that the whole body is supposed to be like a bow under tension.
    I tried that, and the bar sort of lifted itself for the first few inches.

I still haven't got the movement quite right, because I tend to mistime the layback and then the hip drive backward. But as Mr. Miyagi say, wax on, wax off Daniel-San.

Blandrick mentioned a cue he got from Jordan about trying to stick your junk in a glory hole to initiate the hip movement. For some reason, cues about moving your junk are very effective for males (i.e. "Drop your balls between your legs," to initiate a lumbar extension). You have to make sure you're squeezing your abs when you do it, though, otherwise you're over-extend your back.

I'm a motor moron, I'm still having issues with V.1 - I'd kill myself with V.2.

Good on ya for giving it a go.

I think I have the forward hip thrust part down pat pretty well. It's timing it with the initiation of the upward thrust of the hands and arms that needs some work yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Unrelated to recent posts, but thought you would enjoy this:

A lot of deft countering in here. And some surprises. Apparently this is an excerpt from a longer vid.
    One of my favorite videos. A master of the sacrifice throw.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 260.1

We spent the session reviewing brown belt 3rd degree and green belt techniques. The big revelation happened when we were working on the counter to someone clamping down their arm to their front and side so it can't be pulled back into a hammerlock after a throw and they are on the ground. One calls for pumping the side of the head down several times. The neurology of this is that the misaligned spine around the neck weakens the arm and it can be pulled back. I noticed for the first time that pumping the head down also raises the shoulder which creates a slight gap that facilitates the exploitation. This attuned me for the second realization on the next technique.

The second technique is a nerve attack on the ITB by grinding the elbow into it. The neurology of this is that the pain is such a distraction that the arm loosens up. But then I noticed it also caused the hip to spasm backward slightly, also creating a gap. The other brown belt I was training with then did something odd that never happened before. Instead of his elbow he used his forearm to saw across the outside of my leg while trying to position his elbow properly. I noticed how it caused my hips and pelvis to oscillate back and forth and also open a gap for exploitation for pulling back the arm.

As the rest of the session progressed I noticed this misalignment of the hips as an inherent part of other techniques creating weakness and decay of balance.