starting strength gym
Page 297 of 659 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Quick View Post
    I just started trying to do press 2.0, working from Rip's YouTube videos, and I'm not sure I've got it quite right yet. Nonetheless, I feel a lot stronger with that technique, and expect to start lifting new set PRs and single RMs in the next couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    I've been tying to figure it out, and in one of the videos Rip mentions that the whole body is supposed to be like a bow under tension.
    I tried that, and the bar sort of lifted itself for the first few inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I still haven't got the movement quite right, because I tend to mistime the layback and then the hip drive backward. But as Mr. Miyagi say, wax on, wax off Daniel-San.
    The timing is kind of tricky, and thinking about it doesn't help at all. And also as Eric says, there's an odd sort of contradition in the movement in that you are still trying to make your body as rigid as possible by holding the abdominals tight, not over-extending the back, etc, but ALSO bending the body as a single segment from ankles to shoulders. The essence of the motion is very deeply wired into male physiology, and we've all had lots of practice, but combining it with the press, and adding in the rigidity factor makes it all kind of confusing.

Weight: 260.5.

3-3-3 Cycle.

Bench Press: 155-3, 175-3, 200-6.

Barbell Row: 165-3, 185-3, 210-5.

Cardio and stretched. This was the best training session I've had since I got sick last April. I think it presages better things to come. Perhaps some supercompensation from the meet.

It sure seems unnatural to me to drive the weight up with the hips moving back. I sort of under stand, but it seems that the weight wants to move forward

Weight: 258.5.

Jujitsu last night with the kids was routine. Mostly well behaved with one kid whose attention span is so short he forgets the technique immediately after it is demonstrated. Very frustrating to deal with, and I later noticed his father two finger signalling him to watch and pay attention. I suspect we are intended to aid and remediate his attention disorder.

I spent the adult class teaching a teen and an adult blue belt. The teen is a walking example of my biggest fear on the mat. He's not a bad kid, but he has control issues when applying locks. As in too hard and too fast before his partner can tap most of the time. Good session with the both of them once I got him to slow down and dial back his technique.

I slept like a rock last night once I metabolized off my mat jitters and went to bed. But I woke up with a sore right wrist and my entire left side feels like it was beaten with a rubber hose. I know it wasn't from jujitsu, because I didn't get thrown while teaching. My shoulder is the worst and my outer hip and glute and ITB are sore too. Maybe I settled in so heavy that I spent too much time on my left side and didn't move. This didn't manifest itself until about an hour after getting to work which also seems odd. Pisses me off because I planned to DL today. I am too creaky to try. Maybe tomorrow.

Love those BPs you're putting up!

I've noticed that as I've gotten older (actually, recently) that I'll wake up in the morning, or sometimes in the middle of the night, and one whole side of my body is one big ache - the worst being my pelvis and thighs.

I mostly sleep on one side or another. There are times when I think I sleep so heavily without moving that I thinkthat may be the cause of it. I can usually work it off fairly quickly in the morning, though, and if coffee doesn't take care of it, a couple of ibuprofen usually do.

You're heavier than I am, too, which may make a difference.

Generally I move around and roll through the course of the night. I usually start on my back and then the tectonic thrusts start. I since I posted, I checked with DB and she said it looked like I stayed on my left side until 3:30 after having gone to bed at 11:00. Which is later than my normal 9:00.

My lats and shoulders are so wide that I need 2-3 pillows to get my head and neck supported properly when I'm on one side or the other. But as I think about it some more my miseries with my shoulder make more sense now. My medial deltoids are the outermost lying parts which of course will make them the most weight bearing points.

Thanks for the props on the BP, but I am not satisfied with my work and want to get back and even better than the 253 best I managed in competition in 2013.

I think you have to detrain your shoulders and lats, Mark.

Yeah, it takes a lot of fabric for a size 52 suit jacket.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 260.

3-3-3 Cycle.

Deadlift: 260-3, 295-3, 335-4.

DB Hammer Curls: 75 for 3 sets of 8.

Cardio and stretching.

I woke up entirely cleared of my aches, miseries, and woes. Between a headache that came down on me in the pm and the aches, I felt like I was staggering through the Bataan Death march yesterday. So waking up today and feeling better than I have generally, awake and energetic was just marvelous!

I might have had a 5th rep in there for that DL but decided discretion was the better part of valor and left it on the floor and unloaded the bar. I didn't want my feel good intoxication to result in a tweak. As I got dressed, I noticed that my red sock still had the blood stain from the meet. I hadn't washed it out as yet. I hope the stain will come out, but if not, getting some new red socks just might change my luck in the DL.

Lifting (and the de facto cardio warmup) took 20 minutes with HR getting up to 138 for 87% of MHR. The cardio took 10 minutes and the stretching was 3 minutes. Not a bad way to spend just over half an hour.