starting strength gym
Page 345 of 659 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395445 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 259.5.

Bench Press: 150 for 3 sets of 8. (60% of projected 1RM of 253)

Parallel Grip Pulldown: 200 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched and cardio (GXP) . My plan came a little adrift yesterday. What with some honey-dos and a trip to Dr. Laura She of the Magic Hands for an adjustment of cervical and thoracic vertebrae (all messed up from ?) I didn't get my cardio in. So reverted to previous programming. Back on track tomorrow.

Weight: 259.5

Deadlift: 240 for 3 sets of 8.

Seated OHP: 105 for 3 sets of 8.

Both 60% of 1RM. Woof! Those sets of 8 were real grinders on the last couple of reps of set #3 in both lifts. This from a guy who didn't like doing more than 5 reps with any weight in the DL. Real oxygen debt going on. This is the learning loop. I'll see how it goes as the cycle progresses, but I'll probably pick a routine that does more sets with fewer reps in future.

Stretched.

Weight: 259.5

Thank God today was mostly teaching again. It took a lot of will power to grind my way in to jujitsu this morning. Lots of lingering fatigue from DL yesterday. I was supposed to be teaching blue belt technique but screwed up and taught blue belt 1st degree. The poor guy kept saying "I don't remember this." I wondered if he was suffering memory loss. Then near the end of class I noticed I had been teaching the next rank up. Oops! He managed to pick up the new stuff pretty well though.

Just now I am suffering from a double whammy of DOMS in the lumbars and the triceps from lifting compounded with the increased fatigue of nearly 3 hours today.

In other news, I am nearly halfway through the ACE certification study course, all 700+ pages of it. It's very informative and curiously it has some common cause with the SS model. Like hip drive for squats. Which so far they haven't quite recommended as a thing to do. But they keep citing loading of the core through squat-like movements and picking up boxes. They seem not to be able so far to let the word deadlift pass their lips. As encouraging as that was, they then digress into a bunch of rehab like strength and balance and calisthenics like exercises to strengthen the core and shoulder girdle. It almost seems as if ACE is teaching personal trainers to act like physical therapist-lite practitioners. All I could think of was, why not get their form right and movement cued correctly and then start with an empty bar and load accordingly as long as form and movement remain well. They talk about balance stretching movements and miss their own foundational comments about strength and how that contributes to good posture and stance.

In sum, I'll learn how to parrot their doctrine to get their cert. Then I'll teach and train what works.

Weight: 260.

Squat: 205 for 3 sets of 8 @ 65% of 1RM.

DB Hammer Curl: Sets of 8. 60-65-70.

Stretched.

Still pounding the iron hard!

Right about the time I lost access to the forum, you were about to enter some comps. How did it turn out for you?

Well now let's see.

I have competed so far in 5 meets.

2013: the Santa Barbara Classic, placed 1st and set the CA state record for my type of geezer and qualified for the IPL Worlds. Metroplex Regional in Long Beach, placed 1st. IPL Worlds in Las Vegas, placed 1st.

2015: CA State Championships, placed 1st.

2016: CA Drug Tested State Championships, placed 1st and qualified for the Drug Tested Nationals in Atlanta. I haven't been to the Nationals yet, so I'm looking forward to getting there in mid-July. In an air conditioned hotel of course. I suck at lifting in the heat. Maybe meet up with lou t, our newest geezer masters star. Check out his log. It's pretty impressive.

That's five gold medals so far, with the hope of six at Nationals.

In other news, I'm studying for the ACE personal training cert. My comp background should give me some cred when I see if I can get hired as a trainer at the Southern Illinois University Rec Center. Or maybe the local Gold's Gym or elsewhere. I also hope to make the cut for black belt in jujitsu before I blow this popsicle stand. Then teach self defense for women at SIU to start. Maybe expand on that later.

Always supposing DB doesn't keep me on the road with her travel plans. Although I told her when she goes to Sweden to visit her cousins, she was on her own.

As for training hard, I have concluded that 5-3-1, on advice from Andy Baker, was not enough volume. So I'm trying out a slight increase in it now with more to come if this works out well.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 05-30-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Weight: 228.

Bench Press: 165 for 3 sets of 8. (65% of projected 1RM of 253)

Parallel Grip Pulldown: 205 8-8-6.

Stretched.

The kid's class tonight called some real close supervision and motivational therapy. Alligator Boy kept making head, neck, face striking contact during drills and I nearly had to send him off the mat to get him to comply. The other kids could not seem to take launching simple grab and chokes attacks seriously. So in a few instances I got in the middle and made an example of what an attack looks like. Fortunately, no one made their white gi pants turn yellow.

In the adult class I was teaching a teen blue belt. He needed a fair amount of refinement of his technique the first run through. Also some encouragement to use more strength along with his technique. He wasn't manipulating my wrists, elbows, or shoulders enough to inflict even moderate discomfort. Good kid, because on the second run through, he seemed to have processed most of what I had tuned him up on. As a teacher, this was a very satisfying thing to see.

Roger got promoted to 3rd degree brown belt (sankyu) at the end of class. I am nursing a sore lower back and coasting along on fumes. Sleep will be good once I decompress.

Weight: 257.

Did a GXP and stretched.

Call in to the chiro to fix my back.

starting strength coach development program
    Congratulations are in order! I humbly bow to you, sir!

And I'm so glad you decided to compete and also that you've done so well. Well done, MEH!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Well now let's see.

I have competed so far in 5 meets.

2013: the Santa Barbara Classic, placed 1st and set the CA state record for my type of geezer and qualified for the IPL Worlds. Metroplex Regional in Long Beach, placed 1st. IPL Worlds in Las Vegas, placed 1st.

2015: CA State Championships, placed 1st.

2016: CA Drug Tested State Championships, placed 1st and qualified for the Drug Tested Nationals in Atlanta. I haven't been to the Nationals yet, so I'm looking forward to getting there in mid-July. In an air conditioned hotel of course. I suck at lifting in the heat. Maybe meet up with lou t, our newest geezer masters star. Check out his log. It's pretty impressive.

That's five gold medals so far, with the hope of six at Nationals.

In other news, I'm studying for the ACE personal training cert. My comp background should give me some cred when I see if I can get hired as a trainer at the Southern Illinois University Rec Center. Or maybe the local Gold's Gym or elsewhere. I also hope to make the cut for black belt in jujitsu before I blow this popsicle stand. Then teach self defense for women at SIU to start. Maybe expand on that later.

Always supposing DB doesn't keep me on the road with her travel plans. Although I told her when she goes to Sweden to visit her cousins, she was on her own.

As for training hard, I have concluded that 5-3-1, on advice from Andy Baker, was not enough volume. So I'm trying out a slight increase in it now with more to come if this works out well.