Page 386 of 659 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 265.5.

OHP: 125 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlifts: 265 lbs for 2 sets of 5. More on that later.

Hammer Curls: 95 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Session ran 49 minutes burning 558 calories with an average HR of 135 bpm @ 87% of MHR and peaking at 154, my MHR. A draining session. This week has had heat indexes of 105+. I couldn't get my HR down much between sets no matter how long I rested. My strength felt good, but when my left temple started throbbing during the second set of DL's it was time to end that one. I never do well in the heat, and despite the AC at the Rec Center, the temperatures have taken their toll on me.

Weight: 263.5.

Tried to go as easy as possible today after yesterday's gut-it-out fest. The heat dropped about 10 degrees but my blood pressure has been up all morning. Very easy rowing, walking, armbiking, and stretching. This session was 32 minutes burning 238 calories with an average HR of 110 bpm @ 71% of MHR and a peak of 120 bpm.

My trip to the chiro got me 32 minutes of LISS as one the techs put me through learning a new and more intense battery of stretches, foam rolling, and mobility drills. Session ran 32 minutes with an average HR of 108 bpm. I wasn't wearing my heart rate monitor but did periodic pulse checks. So it saved me a trip to the Rec Center and got in to see Dunkirk earlier than I had planned.

Weight: 264.5.

Hip Belt Squats: 345 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

LTE: 95 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Hammer High Row: 240 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session ran 49 minutes burning 483 calories with an avderage HR of 124 bpm @ 80% of MHR with a peak of 135 bpm. The heat has broken here thank God. I'm feeling much better and the blood pressure is back to normal too.

I wasn't sure how Jujitsu was going to go tonight so I got some cardio in at the Rec Center. Upper body emphasis again with rounds of bag strikes, armbike, and medicine ball tosses interspersed with walking between the intervals. A 32 minute session burning 272 calories with an average HR of 117 @ 75% of MHR with a peak of 216 bpm that had to be a freak RF transient.

But then:

All three kids showed up for Jujitsu tonight. All apologizing for missing and all being forgiven for having a good time in the Summer with their families. They retained what they had learned pretty well. I evaluated G's technique as he went through the white belt techniques, and he is getting promoted to blue belt next week. He also has moderated his control issues and I praised him on both. Of course he still motor mouths through the whole class, but one step at a time. E got taught some new blue belt techniques that boggled his mind with their results and effectiveness. Got 60 minutes of LISS with an average HR of 94 bpm @ 61% of MHR and a peak of 115 bpm.

Weight: 265.

Today's session was full body equipment. Rower, SciFit using arm and foot pedals, elliptical with arm handles. It ran 32 minutes burning 291 calories with an average HR of 121 bpm @ 78% of MHR and a peak of 130 bpm. Stretched. Can't quite understand why I got the ticker going that fast. I was trying for nice and easy after yesterday's triple dose of LISS.

Weight: 266.

Push Press: 125 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

High Pulls: 155 lbs. for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 80 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

External Rotations: 40 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session ran 56 minutes and burned 470 calories with an average HR of 115 bpm @ 74% of MHR and a peak 199 bpm. My heart rate monitor was acting up all through this session and with the crazy high spiking it's been doing lately I changed the battery.

Went to the doc's for my twice a year review of blood draw for my blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Clean bill of health for other than slightly elevated liver enzymes which this doc and I recognize as a result of my lifting a couple of days before the draw.

Kind of a newsy day. Got an email from the Karate guy at the park district where we both teach inviting me to a yellow belt promotion ceremony and talk to a student of his who is interested in Jujitsu. He also offered up some used Judo gi's from the local Girls and Boys Club that sound pretty funky, but he's cleaning them up in case I can pass them on to my students. I had hoped for an amicable relationship with him, but this was incredibly generous of him. I made him for a good guy when we first met, which he has proven time and again even better.

Yes it is. I learned around middle school not to expect much from others. It only got worse through 12 years of the onset of America's second civil war. By the time that ended, around 1976 or so, it had made me pretty detached from a lot of humanity.

Weight: 265.5.

I took another ride on my Sportster today. I wore my heart rate monitor just to see if the last time was a one-off in terms of cardio. The ride was 1 hour 42 minutes and burned 725 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR.

I lit out for the territories as Twain would say. Rode down to the Lake Kinkaid spillway, a very scenic waterfall of sorts.

Then rode down IL Route 3 to Grand Tower to see Tower Rock in the middle of the mighty Mississippi. This was a lair for river pirates in the early 19th Century until the Army cleaned them out. Some day I intend to paddle my kayak over there to scale the rock.

Saw both a White and a Great Blue Heron in the marshy bottomland on the ride back home.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 07-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Very nice nature!